Golf vs. GTI

: I think Rob's answer above is closer to fact. Your 2002 GTi should : also have bigger brakes, different electrical harness, upgraded carpet : and trim, dashboard computer, sportier steering wheel w/leather cover, : ABS w/ASR, fog lights and, of course, the Factory sport seats w/lumbar : support.

And different gear ratio to better take advantage of the torque curve at the expense of some mileage.

Reply to
Chicago Paddling-Fishing

The latter is the computer..aka 'MFA'. Most GTIs have them. This hasn't always been the case in the US but generally that is one of the worldwide features of the GTI's equipment.

Reply to
Matt B.

In the US/NA, the MFA was on the 85 A2 GTI chassis, maybe through 87, then when the 87 1/2 16V came out it was removed from the 8V versions, only available on the 16V after that, IIRC.

Reply to
Biz

It is still available on the 1.8T but as an option, as I found out much to my chagrin when I picked up my new 1.8T at the dealership.

The car I test drove had a MFA, but it had cloth seats. I wanted leather, so they found me a silver car with black leather at another dealership.

Oops.

I got tired of making car payments after a while, so I sold it to my mom as she was looking for something newer than her '86 Golf, and she doesn't seem to miss it. I would, though. I kinda wish my daily beater

944 had some kind of oil temp indication as well.

nate

Reply to
Nate Nagel

Not unless something drastic has changed in less than 2 years. I bought my car in January 2002 and it came with the computer as standard. Steve Grauman

Reply to
Steve Grauman

That's within a month of when I picked mine up and it most definitely did not have it.

nate

Reply to
Nate Nagel

Yes that's true. The '90 and up 8V GTIs here didn't have them standard (forget if it was totally N/A or an option). Before that we had that interim period with "Golf GT" models more or less replacing the 8V GTI when the 16V came out and I'm pretty sure they didn't have them either.

Reply to
Matt B.

The GTI brochure I have here for 2002 shows the computer as standard on the VR6. Not on the 1.8T. And not available as an option for the 1.8T. That was my understanding when I was buying mine in spring of 2002, and I believe the VW website info at the time indicated it wasn't a possibility for the 1.8T either. I know I was bummed that I couldn't have it on the 1.8T at the time, because I always like that kind of gadget. I guess it's one of those "specifications subject to change" sorts of deals. This was for the run-of-the-mill 1.8T models, I don't know what the situation was with the later 337 or 20th Anniv special 1.8T variants..

Mike

Reply to
Mike Hackett

IMO, the old 8V vs 16V options/equipment are in many ways comparable to the

1.8T vs. VR6 options/equipment of today.
Reply to
Biz

I know that VW made some minor changes to late 2002 models, including going from the 1-din radio that came in my car to the 2-din radio now found in the Golf/GTi, Jetta and Passat. The computer may have been removed from the equipment list when the radio changes were being made and after my car was purchased. As I said, my car was purchased in January of 2002 and apparently built in November or December of 2001, so later cars may vary. I'd be happy to take digital pictures of my car (and the dash) for anyone who is interested. Steve Grauman

Reply to
Steve Grauman

That's OK, I believe that you have the MFA as I said the car that I test drove had one as well. I don't recall if it had the big or little radio though. My car had the big Monsoon radio and no MFA. That was really the main thing that I missed, equipment-wise, about that car... stupid thing was that I just didn't bother to ask as I'd assumed that that was a GTI "signature" having had several previous VW's with the MFA...

nate

Reply to
Nate Nagel

Randolf,

please add the ALL CAPS version of 'gti' to your spell checker.

TBerk

8D

'Early Days' for the GTI (US anyway) meant 1984 my friend.

8v back then. 16 valves didn't come around until the platform was updated to the A2 chassis.

TBerk

87 and 1/2 to be exact was when the 16V was introduced in NA, The A2(Golf) was introduced in 85 in NA as an 8V 10:1 C.R. big valve, and a 16V option was added mid-year 87.
Reply to
Biz