Golf (yr 2000) glove box door hinge

One of the plastic 'hinges' on my glove box door has broken. It's the curved bar the slots onto the dashboard, acting as a spring to control the opening of the door, and has broken right at the door.

I am not sure what the material is, could be polystyrene, but I cannot think of any glue or cement that would provide enought mechanical support.

Any ideas what I could do to mend the situation? What is the size of the job to replace the door -- I probably have to remove the entire passenger-side dash yes?

T.I.A Phil

Reply to
pdc

The hinge breaking on the mark 3's is a common problem is an american 2000 reg golf a mark 3 or 4?

Either way you have to replace the whole glove box, i got one from a scrappy for $15 Took me 30 minutes on my mark 3. You remove the shelf underneath the glove box, undo the bolts underneath the glove box and then undo the 2 screws inside the glove box. Remember to ply the light inside of the glove box out with a flat head screw driver and undo the plug connector.

Reply to
Joe

Reply to
Rob Guenther

This part has been fixed in original owned cars as a good will item by VW in select cases.

David Michalski , D.V.M.

-='01 VW GTI/GLX Alpha/Mercury/RCA Vers. 28218

Reply to
-=VW GTI/GLX '01