Good All Season Tires?

Hello,

For a 92 Passat CL, I am looking for a good set of all season tires. Where I am, we get a lot of snow, and roads are usually clean and salted.

Looking for a good brand and good price (who isn't)

Suggestions for this model of car?

Thanks,

Tmuld.

Reply to
Tavish Muldoon

They have excellent recommendations..and good prices.

Reply to
Biz

WeatherWise by Michelin (sp?) I had a set on a 96 passat wagon and now my

99.5 jetta. Very long wearing, good handling in all weather. Not the cheapest to buy but very cheap figured at cost per mile.
Reply to
Jo Bo

I'm in Wisconsin, lots of snow, so my bias in tires is more towards bad-weather ability, not ultimate dry-cornering performance. I've used a lot of different tires over the years, here are some broad generalizations from my experience: Michelin and Pirelli -- bad. Great dry, warm weather performance, lousy in the cold and snow. Goodyear -- good. Not as good as Michelin in the summer, but Goodyear understands winter driving.

I know, that's mighty broad, but it's true, in my experience.

Here's another thing I've found to be true -- when shopping for tires that will be good in the cold and snow, take your thumbnail and press the edge into the tread rubber. If it leaves a dent that takes a long time to disappear, it will be bad in the snow. If it bounces right back out, it'll be a good snow tire. Good bad-weather tire rubber also feels smooth and tacky, and good dry and warm weather performance tires feel slightly rougher and less tacky, the rubber feels less "rubbery."

Reply to
Brian Running

The snow-tire company Nokian (think Hakkipelatta - hope I spelt that one right) makes a 4-season tire called the WR. They have the same wear rating as the Michelin MXV4+ (420 wear rating) so you can excpect almost 100K Kms in normal driving I would think... The salesman said 60-100+ K Kms depending on the person and the car - a high powered FWD car with a sporting driver to the lower end of the scale, a moderate output RWD car with a responsible driver to the upper end.

Reply to
Rob Guenther

Michelin period. Just Michelin.

It's the only brand of tire that I've NEVER had a tire failure (not counting simple flats) in 40+ years of lots of fast hard driving, and quite a bit of that on dirt and gravel construction project quality roads.

No thread separations, no flat spots, no tire failures of any sort.

Other brands may perform as well (or sometimes better) but none have as low a failure rate, in my experience. Reliability is important.

Reply to
JH

Toyo Ultra 800. Nothing but. Excellent in snow (I live in Canada) and rain. Best warranty (only Xone matches it). Competative pricing (compared to Miches and other highend Jap brands). All the cops converted their Crown Vic cruisers in our town to Toyos. That says something. You won't be dissappointed. Trust me.

Reply to
Constantine