Good main dealer experience..

Usually people tend to post when they are disgruntled, so I thought I would relay some positive experience for a change.

I just took my Golf to a main dealer (Gilbert Lawsons in Macclesfield) to do some work. They changed the front brake pads, brake fluid, performed a full 20k mile service (using semi-synthetic oil at my request), replaced the cambelt and rollers. The bill came to approx £500. I checked my local non VW dealer and they couldn't beat the price. The car came back running slicker than I expected, was hoovered out immaculately, washed, and various other things were tweaked - without prompting and without charge. Now that's service!!

My only quibble would be the one thing that was highlighted on the service report - "clutch belt starting to feel stiff". They say this could be the clutch belt, or possibly even the clutch itself. In the first instance they would change the belt, but the charge for this is well in excess of £100. This seems a bit high for threading a cable through and hooking it up at either end, but I guess this is a book price covering any eventuality.

All in all, it's been a very positive experience, despite all the complaints I've heard about main dealerships.

-- S i g n a l @ l i n e o n e . n e t

Reply to
Langis

OK, I'll follow suit... I took my '02 Jetta GLS wagon in for the coil pack recall yesterday AM. I got the letter from VW a while back and finally got around to calling the dealer (Garnet VW in Chadds Ford, PA) last week. They had a 'waiting' appointment available at 8:00 am Monday morning. They said on the phone that it would take about an hour. When I got there, there were a couple of other people dropping off cars, but I didn't have to wait more than a minute or two before a service advisor get me 'in the works'. I looked at a Eurovan and read an interesting book on the history of the beetle while I waited. The car was done in an hour as promised and runs fine.

Overall, the experience was pretty unremarkable, but in a world where crap service seems to be the norm, it was nice to get plain old decent service without any extra hassles. That's all I ever really want...

Of course, the parts department didn't have a clutch cable retaining hardware kit for an A2 in stock, but I don't know if that's a normall stocked item or not. Seems funny to me that they'd have a cable in stock and not the retaining hardware... every time I've seen a VW clutch cable break, that hardware has fallen off... ;-)

Craig

Reply to
Craig Faison

Here's Mine:

Driving through Kitchener, Ontario...MIL light on our New Beetle came on...drove the car to Crosby VW-Audi...they got the car in right away, scanned it, replaced a MAF sensor and got me back on the road in less then an hour....I was really impressed! They apologized that they didn't have a loaner vehicle available and gave the car a detailing both inside and out!

Reply to
Peter Cressman

Crosby has a few good mechanics. I have to ruin the thread though--once upon a time, I took the car to Crosby's to have the engine setup. You know that tamper seal on the airbox for the CO measurement? The tech. need about 15 minutes to take it out and they wanted to charge me for it!?

Although they do press in my differential bearings for free there; I've also had some free sandblasting done around the gas tank cap.

Reply to
Darryl