GTI (A2) rear shock installation

Anyone change rear shocks on their A2? (I have a 1986 GTI)

What did you buy?

I'm looking at Bilstein heavy duty rear shocks... they claim GTI on the list and say they are for non-lowered cars whereas the bilstein sport shocks say they are for lowered gti's (which mine isn't).

How much effort is it (I have a bently book, just haven't looked and wondering if there are any known tricks)

Thanks

Reply to
Chicago Paddling-Fishing

In general, it's not bad; if you have an impact wrench, it will be a heck of a lot easier. The only sticking point (pun wholly intended) on mine was the bottom shock bolts, which were attached quite well after only three years. Once I got a friend with air tools to have a go at it, they came right off (granted, I had been soaking them with PB Blaster on a regular basis, too).

Oh, and I'm running Bilstein Sports with stock rear springs and they seem to be working out pretty well. I had originally picked up the shocks when I thought that my shocks were blown, and it turned out that the springs were cracked as well...since I was able to get a pair of stock springs free, those went on in place of the broken ones. I did also replace the spring seats, dust boots, bushings, and bump stops.

Reply to
Kevin 'Sparty' Broderick

I use a propane torch and a couple whacks with a hammer in lieu of air tools.

Reply to
Darryl