GTI Vr6 Front Wheel Bearing?

Have a 95 GTI VR6 with about 130K - wheel bearings were replaced about 70K. When driving under power in gear with clutch in no noise when driving straight. Turn a bit to the right hear a grinding noise - pretty faint but its there. Turn to the left - no noise whatsoever. No gas just car in gear with clutch let out you hear it even when going straight. Wheel bearing or something else. Which side most likely left of right? Tried putting car on shop jack and tried pressing at 3'oclock and 9 o'clock no movement or jiggling at wheel only at steering rack - but the tie rods are tight (no movement at either joint) - both sides. Spun wheel no noise or grinding except for the discs/pads slightly catching. Any clues?

Reply to
S Timinski

It takes a good ear and luck to hear which is going bad. My suggestion is wait until it gets louder. May take until next week or 6 months from now.

Reply to
Woodchuck

Couldn't it also be a CV joint? Or dont they use those on teh newer GTi's?

Reply to
Biz

Yes, but the noise is a little different when it goes out. Had one fail at about 90K and it was more like a clunking instead or a grrrr noise. Unless the inner is different than the outer joint.

Will keep driving it for another week to see if it gets any worse. Read somewhere that if they go they go pretty quickly and I don't want to make things worse.

Reply to
S Timinski

cv's usually make a clicking type noise, bearing hum.

Reply to
Woodchuck

suggestion is

o'clock no

I had a front wheel bearing go bad on a 1995 GTI VR6. It made noise for several months. The local dealer wouldn't do anything when I first had them try (since they couldn't tell what it was for sure, said maybe tires). It got louder and louder, and after putting snows on was still there (it was pretty clear by then it wasn't tires). Even as bad as it got before being replaced it was not possible (if I recall correctly) to feel any rocking motion in the wheel when checking it by hand (off the ground). That was at about 90k miles, one side only.

Frank

Reply to
Frank

AFAIK the front wheel bearing will stop making noise when you turn it in that direction. Example: If you turn right and the noise disappears then the right front wheel bearing is bad!

Then I usually take everything off, axle & brake pads, and spin the hub/bearing by hand and it usually makes noise. I have been wrong on more than one occasion though. lol

IMHO In your case it sounds like your left front wheel bearing is bad. Make sure your wheels and that large nut in the hub are properly torqued down.

later, dave (One out of many Daves)

Reply to
dave

I also suggest you be prepared in case the ball joint needs replacing at the same time.

Reply to
Tom's VR6