Hard-Shifting VR6 Jetta.

My 2000 VR6 Jetta has always ranged from difficult to impossible to shift into second when it's cold--freezing or colder. Finally, last year, dealer rebuilt transmission under 10/100,000 warranty: two new synchros, one new gear, gaskets, etc. Was better at first, but is now, again, unusuable in

2nd until warmed-up. (I am a very "gentle" driver--no fast shifting or burn-outs or heavy double-clutching.)

I can live with this--love the car--but I suspect it's a well-known issue, since I've driven other vr6's with same problem, and previous service mgr. claimed his car was the same way. I've reported problem mainly to preserve the warranty in case there are collateral issues--don't want to hear that I failed to bring malfunction to VW's attention.

Has anyone else a similar history? Thanks much for your attention.

Reply to
John Bottonari

Quote "but I suspect it's a well-known issue"... that's new to me. First of all how cold you talking about? And does it have the correct synthetic gear lube in the trans.

Reply to
Woodchuck

Vicinity of freezing, or colder.

Will check w/dealer re. lubricant.

Reply to
John Bottonari

See if they put in a shift kit when they did the tranny work. At the very least, have a mechanic verify your woes. I'm thinking that you've got a misaligned (or bad) shift linkage.

Tim Wohlford

Reply to
Tim Wohlford