Have radio code, need more...

I've reset this radio before no problem, but not this time.

It's a 98 Jetta GL 2.slow. I was too lazy to go inside and get the number, thought I could remember it, put wrong code in. Now says '2 Safe'. Googling, I found where it said to press key combo Mode+Scan to reset. My radio doesn't have a 'Mode' button. I tried other buttons, no go. It's the original radio, Clarion I believe. After a battery disconnect I tried to enter the code from memory a couple of times, and now it says "2 Safe". After getting the right code which I've used before, I tried disconnecting the battery for about 24 hrs and pulling the radio Fuse for about a week, it still won't even allow me to enter the code, just say's "2 Safe". Did I kill it?

I guess my real question is: Can I put in a Pioneer or something? Is the alarm system or anything else dependant upon that original radio being there?

Thanks, Les

Reply to
Les

To reset the safe mode you need to leave the ignition turned on for about an hour. For your other question, you absolutely can put an after-market radio in without causing any problems IF it is installed correctly. A lot of the wiring kits you can buy injects

12V into the communications line which causes the scan tool to not be able to communicate.

[...]

LG

Thanks, that worked, Les

Reply to
Les