having to push start my jetta

I have a 98 jetta and just recenlty I had to start push starting it. I noticed that it only seems to be when it is hot outside... it will start in the morning but by the afternoon I can't get it running without a push start...does anyone have any ideas why?

Reply to
cecil

Could be a starter. Check the voltage at the two terminals. The big one should always be hot, and the little one (trickier to read the voltage of) should get hot when the starter circuit gets activated. If those voltages are right, replace the starter.

Reply to
Tom's VR6

I assume the starter works and the engine turns over but the engine won't fire up? If that is the case, have someone measure the voltage at the battery while you run the starter. If it falls below 8 volts DC, there is not enough juice to keep the fuel injection system/ECU working. It starts when you push it because the voltage is higher without the load of the starter dragging it down. If it is the original battery, it is time for a new one. Make sure your posts and battery cable terminals are clean too.

Reply to
Corrado Daddy

I'm not familiar with the 98 models, but this is a common issue with the starter on my 1976 Rabbit. I used to replace starters fairly frequently till I discovered what was happening.

It happens most often after the car has been driven a while, then sits parked for a short time. The heat causes the metal to expand, and "seizes" the starter so it won't turn. Once the starter cools down, the metal shrinks, and it'll start fine again. I thought later models had some kind of heat shield for this problem, but I could be wrong?

I just keep a short length of heavy duty wire in the car. If the starter sticks, I put the car in neutral, pop the hood, and jumper between the battery and the POSITIVE solenoid terminal of the starter. That little direct boost is enough to unstick the starter. I don't really "crank" the starter that way, just a quick tap to get it to turn. I can then go in and start the car normally.

For years I've been thinking about wiring in a relay to essentially do the same thing when I turn the key. But, it happens so rarely it hasn't been worth the trouble.

Sure beats push starting, especially if you're surrounded by cars in a parking lot or something.

Anthony

Reply to
HerHusband

Thanks Anothony for your input I actually figured it out this afternoon if i wiggle the key it starts so it must be the ignition switch.

thanks again

Reply to
cecil

Thanks for your input I actually figured it out this afternoon if i wiggle the key it starts. so it must be the ignition switch

thanks again

Reply to
cecil

Thanks for your input I actually figured it out this afternoon if i wiggle the key it starts. so it must be the ignition switch

thanks again

Reply to
cecil

What I have found out about the cause of the failing ign switches is heat. Heat from poor electrical contacts or excessive resistance. I took an ign switch apart ('91 Passat) and found springs, that push the contacts/balls, that lost their tension and it looked like they had been overheated/burnt. I actually installed some other springs from another ign switch and 'rebuilt' my original ign switch. It lasted about 6 months before it started giving signs of trouble, which was about 5.5 months longer than an aftermarket ign switch. lol

The moral of my story is to buy that part from the dealer. It will be more costly in the short run but should last longer. ;-)

JMHO

Reply to
One out of many Daves