Heater core

How hard is it to replace a heater core in a 86 GTI?

Just put in a 71 degree thermostat... now I know why they had the car running so hot before... heater core must be clogged up someplace.

Or, I just buy a plug in heater... chicago is a bit chilly sometimes.

Reply to
Chicago Paddling-Fishing

Unless your core is leaking you should not need to replace it. If it's leaking you will smell antifreeze when it's on. This is a common problem and VW may replace it if your nice. There was a recall but even the replacements leak. If you were to be going down the road and it blew, like they did/do, then you could get burned and the windshield would fog up and you could not see to drive. But if it's not putting out heat that maybe a control problem and they won't fix that but you may be able to. The core is a bitch to replace if you have air.

Joe R.

Reply to
Joe R

John, It ain't that chilly here yet. lol

A 71 degree thermostat does not sound right!!! Your cooling system should be able to function without a heater core, so it sounds like another problem with the engine overheating.

Your vehicle has been recalled for the heater core = FREE from the dealer.

It is a little difficult to remove the dash and A/C or ventilation box to get to it. Plan on two days, one day to get to the heater core, and the other day to remember where everything goes back. ;-) I don't recall any major or specific tools that you will need for this job, but maybe the A/C might have to be legally emptied and refilled.

later, dave later, dave Reminder........ Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way, when you criticize them, you are a mile away from them, and you have their shoes. Frieda Norris

Reply to
dave

dave wrote: :>From: Chicago Paddling-Fishing snipped-for-privacy@ripco.com :>

:>How hard is it to replace a heater core in a 86 GTI? :>

:>Just put in a 71 degree thermostat... now I know why they had the car running :>so hot before... heater core must be clogged up someplace. :>

:>Or, I just buy a plug in heater... chicago is a bit chilly sometimes. :>

: John, : It ain't that chilly here yet. lol

: A 71 degree thermostat does not sound right!!!

They were selling 66, 70, 92 thermostats. I ordered the 70 thinking I already had a 92 in the car and the normal running temp was over the red dot... Now the temp is very low (the thermostat has "71" imprinted on it). The car warms up a little and it's not as bad as first feared.

: Your cooling system should be able to function without a heater core, so it : sounds like another problem with the engine overheating.

Wasn't overheating yet, but the temp gauge seemed to get hotter and hotter as our weather cooled, and I was getting a bit concerned over it.

: Your vehicle has been recalled for the heater core = FREE from the dealer.

Probably not still available though...

: It is a little difficult to remove the dash and A/C or ventilation box to get : to it. : Plan on two days, one day to get to the heater core, and the other day to : remember where everything goes back. ;-) : I don't recall any major or specific tools that you will need for this job, : but maybe the A/C might have to be legally emptied and refilled.

It's just gonna stay like it is, i have a new clicking noise, sounds like front drivers side wheel related (ticks louder when I disengage motor while rolling fast (quiets motor tick)).

It's always something... :-( but the car was much cooler today so I'm starting to think the old thermostat was just plain bad.

Reply to
Chicago Paddling-Fishing

EDITED

Was it running warmer on the highway or during stop and go driving? Did the radiator fan run constantly? Could be debris in the fins of the radiator or A/C condenser. Could be bad radiator or fan switch. Could be a bad water pump or loose belt. Or ???

You can check the operation of the thermostat by checking the temperature of the radiator on all four corners as the engine warms up. While the engine is getting warm, three corners (drivers's side upper & lower and right side lower stay cool) Then when temp gauge goes to about 1/2 to hot the thermostat opens and when the temperature gets to about 3/4 to hot the radiator fan should kick on. Radiator fan should cycle on and off. Also a proper mix of Coolant to Distilled water helps too. ;-)

You can always call and check with your local VW dealer. ;-) Have your VIN number ready.

dave

Here in Europe the normal thermostat for a VW is 82 degrees centigrade.

Remco

Reply to
Remco Meeder

dave wrote: : EDITED :>From: Chicago Paddling-Fishing snipped-for-privacy@ripco.com :>

:>: A 71 degree thermostat does not sound right!!! :>

:>They were selling 66, 70, 92 thermostats. I ordered the 70 thinking I already :>had a 92 in the car and the normal running temp was over the red dot... Now :>the temp is very low (the thermostat has "71" imprinted on it). The car :>warms up a little and it's not as bad as first feared. :>

:>: Your cooling system should be able to function without a heater core, so it :>: sounds like another problem with the engine overheating.

: Was it running warmer on the highway or during stop and go driving? : Did the radiator fan run constantly? : Could be debris in the fins of the radiator or A/C condenser. Could be bad : radiator or fan switch.

No, it was at that temp constantly... I've already put in a new radiator and waterpump. The fan does run, but the avg temp just kept climbing so I was starting to think that maybe the thermostat was going bad, and I'm guessing it was because now the temp is way down low...

: Could be a bad water pump or loose belt. : Or ???

: You can check the operation of the thermostat by checking the temperature of : the radiator on all four corners as the engine warms up. : While the engine is getting warm, three corners (drivers's side upper & lower : and right side lower stay cool) Then when temp gauge goes to about 1/2 to hot : the thermostat opens and when the temperature gets to about 3/4 to hot the : radiator fan should kick on. Radiator fan should cycle on and off. : Also a proper mix of Coolant to Distilled water helps too. ;-)

Yea, I have one of those laser thermometers and the temp is pretty constant

:>

:>Wasn't overheating yet, but the temp gauge seemed to get hotter and hotter :>as our weather cooled, and I was getting a bit concerned over it. :>

:>: Your vehicle has been recalled for the heater core = FREE from the dealer. :>

:>Probably not still available though...

: You can always call and check with your local VW dealer. ;-) : Have your VIN number ready.

I visit them regularly ;-)

Reply to
Chicago Paddling-Fishing

Did the rad. fan cycle On and Off?

IIRC The rad. fan switch should match the coolant thermostat. 8^) The temperature was climbing up to what? 1/2 to 3/4 seems to be the normal. Was yours going past 3/4 hot?

Also if the engine is out of tune (retarded timing, lean mixture, etc.), it could cause the engine to run "warmer" also.

dave