Help: 91 Passat won't start

Need a bit of help here, I have a 91 Passat with the 16valve 4cyl, the car was running great one night, got up the next morning and it would not start. I have fuel to the injectors, but I have no spark. With the plugs laying on the intake and plugged in, they will only spark for a brief second just as I stop cranking the engine. I have 12-14 volts going into the coil but only 5 volts at the coil tower. With the ignition in the on position there is 12 volt to both sides of the coil, not sure if this should happen?? Any help with this problem would be great, I miss driving my car, stuck in the family SUV.

Thanks in Advance

Reply to
GearHead

It sounds like the ignition switch to me. It probably loses power to the ign. coil as soon as you start cranking the engine over. Try turning on the ign. and then using a remote starter switch on the starter. just a thought later, dave

Reply to
dave AKA vwdoc1