Help Please - 2 Questions about Low Sulfur Diesel

2 questions about the up-coming low sulfur diesel:
  1. What will this "new" diesel do to my 2003 Jetta TDI?
  2. How does this change affect me legally? Will present day diesels be clean enough? Will they be Grandfathered in as far as emitions test standards and registering cars?
Reply to
Numan

The "new" fuel will be about like what is already sold in Europe. Your car will run the same, only it won't emit oxides of sulphur and the fuel system should last longer.Your car, and my 100hp '04 are not as powerful as the newer design 1.9 TDI's sold in Europe. The newer versions of the engine apparently don't handle "dirty" US fuel well so they don't sell them here yet, but our "old" ones will like the new, cleaner fuel just fine.

I'm sure you'll be able to drive your car for its normal life time with not problem, at least in the states where diesels are now sold.

Reply to
kokomokid

Thank you for the info. As long as the new diesel will not hurt my engine then I am all for the cleaner fuel and low emmisions.

If there is no downside to the cleaner diesel why would there be opponents to the switch in 2006?

Reply to
Numan

Nothing for you or your car, but it will give the oil companies an excuse to jack up the fuel prices more!

Reply to
Woodchuck

It will likely cost more, which the trucking lobby will not be too happy about.

-- Mike Smith

Reply to
Mike Smith

if anything, it's a good thing. it's basically cleaner fuel. Should not hurt your car at all and if anything your emissions will be even cleaner.

Reply to
Matt B.

Jim B.

Reply to
jimbehning

Jim B.

It's already used in Europe. Such statements were used by the trucking lobby when it was reduced to it's current "low" ratings a few years back. I've used Bio in my jetta and the exhaust makes you want to go straight to the nearest McDonalds for a large fries!

JoBo

Reply to
Jo Bo

Has there been talk of how much more they will charge for the lower sulfur diesel? Right now diesel is 30 cents cheaper than regular gas so a small increase would still be very worth having a "cleaner" car.

Reply to
Numan

I thought I saw a nickel a gallon at one time.

I do vaguely recall the lower sulfer fuss 15? years ago. I just had a tractor at the time. No road vehicles to worry about.

"Numan" wrote:

Jim B.

Reply to
jimbehning

Reply to
mike92105

Gas will not run in a diesel engine without causing problems! The diesels I have seen usually run until the gas gets to the pump.

Reply to
Woodchuck

diesels are tolerant of a some degree of gas (more so than a gas engine tolerating diesel accidentally mixed in) but still not much. but don't even try to run your diesel on pure gas.

c'mon already...with diesel you're still saving money on the mileage. why even try to squeeze a few more pennies out of it while risking your engine and fuel system? don't try and be so cheap.

Reply to
Matt B.

I think a diesel can do up to 30% gas?

Reply to
Peter Parker

that sounds familiar. it's definitely a higher percentage compared to the other way around where a gas engine can tolerate only a tiny amount of diesel. I still wouldn't deliberately mix them...not worth it.

Reply to
Matt B.

Diesel fuel also lubricates the injection pump - cutting the diesel with gasoline reduces the lubricity of the fuel.

So ... save a few cents by adding gas and destroy a $2,000 injection pump in the process? Doesn't sound like a wise decision to me!

Reply to
Erik Dillenkofer

You got any friends who would be willing to dump 3gal of gas in their TDI to test this theory?

Reply to
Woodchuck

Are you saying that a VW diesel owners manual is wrong? LOL!

The following quote is out of an 1991 Jetta ECOdiesel owners manual. It seems retarded because the ECOdiesel has a CAT and why would anyone do leaded gas with a CAT. I think this is for emergency only. However if you can only do 30%, it doesn't make sense since you would have more diesel fuel anyway unless you want to add the 3 gallons for an extra ~150 miles across the Sahara desert. :-)

" Gasoline instead of Diesel fuel

Your Diesel engine can run with up to 30% leaded or unleaded regular (not premium) gasoline mixed with Diesel fuel. With more gasoline in the fuel tank, the engine must not be started to avoid serious engine damage. In such case the fuel tank must be drained while observing all environmental and fire hazard precautions. See also WARNINGS on page 74. "

I have one better. Did I mention anything about TDI? :-)))

I don't have a TDI manual. However anyone can check the owners manual on a TDI under Fuel Supply and see if it's there.

Reply to
Peter Parker

Jim B.

Reply to
jimbehning

That was the old days of VW diesels! The newest diesel( 2004 PD) has injection pressures of around 25,000psi. The TDI's were about 3.300psi, and the old diesels were about 1600psi from memory.

Reply to
Woodchuck