Help! TDI troubles

I have a 99.5 Jetta TDI. Lately it has been having some problems which I tend to think are electrical. First, it has been bucking at low RPM, usually when cruising less than 30 mph. If I accelerate a little, or back off the throttle, it stops. I have measured the resistances on the injector pump pins and they are within specs. I cleaned the electrical contacts and it ran perfect for a day, then it went back to the bucking thing it likes to do. The other problem was with the speedometer. It started working part time and eventually, it would only work if I was turning right. I pulled off the connector to the sensor on the transmission and reseated it and it worked fine for a couple days and when I drove it yesterday, it wasn't working at all. Today it started out working then it quit again. Also, within the last couple of days, it has had a harder time starting. Sometimes it starts fine and other times, it will just turn over and the whole car shakes. The I hit the key again and it will start. Has anyone had any problems like this? Any suggestions? Oh yeah, when the speedometer isn't working, the cruise control and door locks won't automatically lock.

The fuel economy on this car is great however, I'm beginning to think that all my fuel savings is going to end up being spent on repair work.

I'll appreciate any input anyone can provide. Thanks.

Dave

Reply to
Dave

When was the last time you changed the fuel filter?

The speed sensor or the conector/wire appears to be bad. I would price the sensor and then decide if I wanted to replace it.

Reply to
Joseph Meehan

Reply to
Dave

Could this be the "Relay 107" problem? Or maybe a weak battery? Check

for lots of good info on known TDI problems.

Reply to
Wake

Actually it's "relay 109" that had the problem. When mine went out it bucked once or twice but all electrical accessories like radio, heater blower and tac went off also went off.

JoBo

Reply to
Jo Bo

Reply to