help. unplugging electrical harness from gauge cluster to fix odometer

Hi, I have an '85 Golf. The odometer isn't working so am following great directions at

I've got the cluster loose, but for the life of me can't figure out how to disconnect the wiring harness (there are 2) from the back of the cluster. I don't want to break any of the plastic, but I've tried prying and tugging. Seems there are two flat plugs that go into a female socket. The socket just receives and puts the 2 flat male plugs into contact with the green ribbon cable.

Any hints on where are the catch or catches on those plugs? Is it a single bump on the bottom of the lower flat plug? I've tried prying and lifting on the female socket that seems to be engaging the bump, but no success. I just don't want to break something or tear the ribbon cable and create another problem to fix.

Guess I could work on the odometer in the car, but prefer to bring it inside onto a table with good light.

Thanks for any advice.

-Tony tony* snipped-for-privacy@shaw.ca (remove asterisk)

Reply to
twong

Should just pull out from memory.

Reply to
Woodchuck

Hi, Thanks for replying. Still can't disconnect the 2 harnesses and don't want to exert too much force. Nonetheless, managed to release the 2 female sockets from the back of the cluster (ribbon cable/flexible circuit board still attached) to get enough slack to remove the speedometer.

For anyone stumbling onto this message in search of a fix for a mechanical odometer that stops registering miles/kilometers, here are

2 useful sources I came across.

1)

search rec.autos.makers.vw.watercooled news group for the exacttext "My odometer stopped!!!!" (note the 4 exclamation marks). Ronnie'sdetailed steps and tips are useful.

-Tony.

Reply to
twong

Another info source

3) search ec.autos.makers.vw.watercooled news group for the exact text "VDO speedo gear replacement available for A1?"

-Tony Vancouver, BC.

Reply to
twong