Help with Backup Light Switch Electrical Part

I'm in the process of getting my backup/upshift light switch functional so that I can get my backup lights working. When I bought this car last December, the switch was bad, as was the most of the wiring. BTW, this is for a 1984 Rabbit with a 4sp. transmission. I've purchased a few replacement parts to get everything going, a new switch (mine is the larger kind with several spade terminals sticking up and that screws into the transmission with two bolts), and also a new wiring block that holds all of the wires and plugs into the switch. I think I understand the wiring and which wire will need to go where. However, the ends of these wires are all torn up. I need some new electrical connectors for the ends of the wires that go into the above mentioned block. This is where I need some help. I've never seen these electrical connectors before. And I can't find them for sale anywhere. It makes me think that they might be VW specific, but my ETKA catalog doesn't show them, or a part number for them. I can go to my dealership if needed, but they are about 45 minutes away. The connector is very small. It is 3/4" long, 1/8" wide, and 1/8" tall. In case I'm not doing a good job of describing it, I have some pictures uploaded here:

Can anybody please tell me either a VW part number, a proper name for this type of connector, or a place that sells them where I might take it in and show them? I know many people have had problems with the switches before, but I'm hoping that somebody has had to redo the wiring as well.

Thanks! Bryan

Reply to
Bryan K. Walton

Looks like you want a VW wiring repair kit which is a wire with a connector like that on it. here are a few part numbers that might be it but i'm not sure exactly which one you need (not sure if these are different sizes or what...)

000 979 126 or 000 979 133 000 979 227

has them.
(000 979 126 or 000 979 133)

(000979227)

Reply to
Matt B.

Hey, Thanks for the information Matt and the source for them. I've picked up where you left off. After some more digging, I've found there is also 000979225, 000979135. After talking to a VW dealership, they said that the only difference appears to be the wire gauge. But, unfortunately, they don't know the actual gauge of the wire on the respective parts. Anybody else out there know which of these parts, specifically are for the backup switch wiring on a Rabbit:

000 979 126 000 979 133 000 979 135 000 979 225 000 979 227

Of course, if the terminal endings are the same size, does it really matter? I'll probably splice it into the existing wiring. With that said, is it better to go bigger than smaller?

Thanks! Bryan Walton

Reply to
Bryan K. Walton

what about asking if someone has some old wiring harness for you? Maybe they will sell you that plug with some length of wiring left on it? Solder, crimp or whatever to get it wired in. Early A2's plugs might work too. Should I cut one off a junked car for you? ;-) BTW there should be different switches that look similar.

just a thought; dave (>> Looks like you want a VW wiring repair kit which is a wire with a >> connector

Reply to
One out of many Daves

Bigger is better than smaller...less resistance, brighter lamps.

Although we are talking about relatively small 21W bulbs here. But in the world of, say, headlamps, people sometimes change to bigger wires and relays for getting improved lighting output so the same should hold true for reverse lights but just on a smaller scale. Then again, you probably aren't changing ALL of your wiring in the circuit...just some of it. so it won't really matter significantly. Go with 14 gauge wiring (whatever part number corresponds to that) and you can't really go wrong w/that (for reverse lamps anyway).

Reply to
Matt B.

Hi Dave, Your last sentence sums up exactly why I've decided to simply redo everything. I've got a brand new switch already. I've noticed however, that if I'm not careful, an old wiring harness may not work with my new switch (due to the wiring being different). There are too many switches, ('84 vs ''83 and earlier, 5sp vs. 4sp, etc.) I've got the VW tech bulletin that tells me how to do the wiring for the newer switches -- I'm going to do it proper and hope that should I ever need a new switch in the future (which I'm sure I will, it will just be a matter of buying a new one).

Thanks, Bryan

Reply to
Bryan K. Walton

Sounds great. It appears that the 000979227 is what I need. I'm not positive, but that is what I'm going to get and we will see how it turns out.

Thanks, Bryan Walton

Reply to
Bryan K. Walton

Reply to
One out of many daves

Hi, I wanted to follow up on this thread in case anybody ever needs to order these electrical connectors for their backup light switch. As it turns out, part # 000979227 is NOT what I needed. This part actually has two of the connectors on EACH end (only needed one) -- side by side. I may be able to actually cut off one of the connectors on each wire end to make them work, not sure yet. However, if I have to order more wires for this part, I'll order 000979225 the next go around.

-Bryan

Reply to
Bryan K. Walton

I gotta tell you, I've owned three Mk1 VW's and not a single one of them had working back-up lights. At least two of those cars didn't even have the appropriate wiring in them. Even the Mk2 car I have now has faulty reverse lights lights. And it's so magical how people know you're trying to back up when those lights work. It's almost hard to imagine.

Good luck! Maxine

Bryan K. Walt> >

Reply to
Mad Maxine

Just a late followup to confirm (should anybody need this info in the future) that 000979225 IS the correct electrical connector for plugging in to the plastic block that goes into the backup-light transmission switch. Once I got these connectors, I successfully got everything rewired and I now have working backup lights on my rabbit!

Cheers, Bryan

Reply to
Bryan K. Walton