Help With Keyless Entry For A3 Cars

Guys,

I have two cars that have keyless entry issues:

1) A 97 Jetta that does not have keyless entry capabilities, but does have the factory alarm and central locking system.

2) A 97/98 GTi that does have keyless entry that worked just fine when i got the car, but has now crapped out. I thought the remote had just dies, so I bought a new remote, and programmed it in the generally accepted programming method, but it won't take the new remote. I have had a couple of friends with similar cars, who have programmed new remotes, watch me try to program the new remote, and they are stumped as to what is going on. We all think that the control unit must be the problem.

So, here are the questions:

For problem car #1 (the Jetta with no keyless system), can I buy a control unit from a similar car, and just plug it in? And if that is possible, should I even do that, given the problems I am having with the GTi? Is there a more robust after market option for this car?

For problem car #2 (the GTi with busted keyless system), are there any diagnostics I can try to see if the control unit is actually bad? If it is, should I replace it with an OEM unit, or is there an after market keyless system that will work better?

Thanks, ccp

Reply to
ccp

#2 there is no diagnosis per say other than try another one. And I do have a keyless system unit with 2 remotes I pull out of my daughter car when we sold it. $130. It will work in a 97 but the range for the remotes is less than the 98's due to no antenna in the wiring harness. I never got involved installing one but I'm sure it can be done.

Reply to
Woodchuck

I can help you with this one. Go here:

Can't help here. Sorry. Wish my 1995 Golf had keyless.

Bill

Reply to
William Maslin

Reply to