Hengst or Mann oil filter?

Both Hengst and Mann look like good filters. But some online sites seem to sell Hengst (~$5) at about 1/2 of Mann (~$10).

Which filter do you guys prefer/recommend?

I guess VW buys batches from both at different times?

Reply to
johngdole

Jim Behning

I used to be able to get Hengst oil filters for the '97 VR6 engines like what the dealer sold. I used to get Mahle Rabbit gas oil filters in the past too along with OEM oil filters Now I seem to get all Mann filters both air and oil. All of the above should be excellent!

Reply to
dave AKA vwdoc1

Yeah, I've read both Mann and Hengst being OEM. Just that Hengst comes in 1/2 the price of Mann!!

Thanks.

age

Reply to
johngdole

Well then I am very lucky when I buy Mann filters. ;-)

Thanks.

Reply to
dave AKA vwdoc1

Never heard of Hengst, I've always went with Mahle or Mann.

But I'm an old school VW nut.

TBerk

Reply to
TBerk

Reply to
dave AKA vwdoc1

Huh. Well based on the description they _sound_ OK. Anti drain back feature to keep oil in the filter when the motor is off, bypass valve to keep oil flowing even if run it till it clogs up.

just don't buy FRAM.

TBerk

Reply to
TBerk

My Toyota with 270,000 miles and no visible wear in the cylinders asks "Why not use Fram?" Yes I know the answer. Toyota is such a superior vehicle that uses only the finest cast iron for its blocks that it can survive 20 years of crappy oil filters and Mobil 1 and still show little signs of wear.

Yes I use Mann and Mahle on my 2003 TDI with only 202,000 miles. I expect if I do not change work around that that car will see 500,000 before I tire of it.

Reply to
Jim Behning

"Jim Behning" wrote

snip

Because you are a wise owner and change your oil regularly and THAT is why your Toy is doing so well! ;-)

Info for others to read:

google "fram filter explode"I have not had a fram explode on me, but I stopped using fram oil filters about 20+ years ago.

lol..............What no FRAM for the TDI!

Reply to
dave AKA vwdoc1

I have gone either 15,000 miles or 25,000 miles on an oil change with that truck. Now I just need to remember when the last year was I changed it as I do not drive it often. I did have a white oil filter pop a pinhole leak in one of the Rabbits. Then I started using Frams for the Rabbits. I never had a problem with oil draining out of those filters. Now the Toyota filters are mounted horizontally. I can wait a half hour and that filter is empty. That is a bonus.

No sludge in my engines when I remove valve covers. I suspect using Mobil synthetic oils for the last 20+ years is why.

You know the Toyota eng>

Reply to
Jim Behning

Well in your case, and mine since I don't change the oil often in my '83 Audi 4000s nor my '88 Cherokee, we can afford a better oil filter! ;-) Gee that reminds me to change the oils in these vehicles, it is the end of an even year! lol

I had one 2nd gen Jetta 1.8l that created so much oil pressure that it shut the engine down. Oil filter held but I don't remember the brand. :-(

Was that a white Purolator filter that sprung a leak? I think I had 1 Mann filter that started leaking on a 1.8t engine. I am glad I caught it before it leaked out much.

BTW How often do you change the filter in the TDI?

Reply to
dave AKA vwdoc1

TDI get new oil and filter every 10,000 miles as per book. Oil analysis shows oil is fine at that interval and could go longer.

I guess I could use a different filter on the Toyota but my anecdotal has shown no reason to worry. Especially since that vehicle is in retirement with only a few thousand miles a year. Right now it seems to have a bad tank of gas. I will drive in more to burn up that tank so I can drain, inspect and fill with fresh fuel from one of my regular refuel suppliers. I do have an oil change for the Toyota as I forgot when I changed it last. I just changed the oil in the John Deere. I thought I had a new filter for the JD but I did not. Given that I don't use that but 30 hours or less a year I doubt there is much dirt trapped in it. I did drain the oil out of the filter though. I will install a fresh filter next time I go by the JD store.

I th>Well in your case, and mine since I don't change the oil often in my '83

Reply to
Jim Behning

Hengst makes OEM oil filtration systems for Mercedes A-class and Audi S4 V8 5V. So maybe the Hengst only shows up in newer VWs (incl. 3.6L VR6).

johngdole

Reply to
Jim Behning