Hesitation at low RPMs

1991 Jetta, gas, stick, WVW . . .

The car has this slight but noticable hesitation as I accelerate. Then, as soon as I reach about 3000 rpm it smooths out. Its allot worse when the engine is cold, but less noticable if I "floor it".

Also (and I am not sure if this is related) on a cold starts, I need to let it idle for a couple of minutes before I drive off. If I don't, when I step on the accelerator, the engine really stammers and sometimes stalls.

Other points of data: I seem to have leak in my exhaust system somewhere, but its not a low "bass" sound, more of a higher frequency aspirating sound. Finally, I've been driving around with my temp sensor disconneted (running in open-loop) because of an unsolvable problem of the car starting smooth then after a minute progress to a rough and missing idle (ie. smooth coldengine, rough warm engine).

Any suggestions? Many thanks in advance.

Reply to
sonodude

Tom Resi