High gear

Going down the street, went through the gears on my 88 VW Fox wagon.

4th/high gear failed to engage, makes no noise, nothing, like it didn't exist. Moved the shifter around through its paces, still couldn't find 4th. Took to my son-in-law's garage, put it on lift. Moved the tranny through its paces, and turned on front wheel, opposite wheel turns opposite direction, except 4th.

What could make the least abused gear just go away internally in this situation? No audibles noted ever during my driving.

Still use it around town, just no highway driving now. At least until I spend a small fortune on rebuilding or replacing the tranny.

Reply to
Jonny

internal issue. Did you check the gear oil level?

Reply to
Lost In Space/Woodchuck

find out the reason why the battery was dead first, and fix that. The see what happens.

Reply to
Lost In Space/Woodchuck

Read the 2 replies so far. Not applicable in one case, no bearing on the original post on the other reply.

Reply to
Jonny

Foxes are famous for eating shifter bushings. Does your shifter feel loose? If so, a set of new bushings and a new shifter ball socket (not high dollar items) might let you find 4th again.

Reply to
tylernt

Lol. Welcome to Usenet! If you like it here, you should try posting in rec.motorcycles. ;)

Reply to
tylernt

Since owning the Fox since '92, have replaced all the nylon bushings twice. Can appreciate the wear factor on the nylon shifter associated nylon bushings. That is a true statement These bushings are in good condition now. That is not the problem. As noted in my post, my son-in-law, the mechanic, put the Fox on a lift. The front and rear wheels were free to turn. He manually put the shifter through its gears at the transmission, not the shifter inside the car. As noted, turning front wheel on one side turns the opposite side wheel in opposite direction. That's what its supposed to do. In 4th gear, nothing happens on opposite wheel. That is, 4th gear is simply not engaging.

Reply to
Jonny

Well in that case, I would start looking for Foxes in junkyards and pull a tranny from one of them. I *think* the Audi 4000 transmission is the same, but don't quote me on that. If you ask in the Fox forum on VWVortex.com I'm sure you'll get some better responses.

Reply to
tylernt