high idle, 2500 rpm, 82 rabbit

I drove my 82 rabbit 1.7 CIS real hard the other day to find what it topped out at, which was pitiful. I tached it out in every gear and held it to the floor for several miles. After I slowed down to park it, the idle was steady at about 2500 rpm. I hasnt gone down in a few days. What on earth might have I done? And what should I be inspecting for damage and repair and adjustment? Thanks.

Reply to
Thater

Not sure what you did, but you sure gave it the Italian Tune Up. :-)

IIRC my '91 did something like that. I did the Italian Tune Up once and it idled fast after that. I don't remember the resolution though...it might have fixed itself (computer readjusted things?). Not sure in your case...not familiar with the CIS system.

Reply to
Matt B.

Is it possible that your Idle screw on the back of the throttle body has vibrated out some increasing your Idle? I had inconsistent idle problems on my 81 rabbit convertible and it turned out to be that the rubber o-ring that holds the idle screw in position has just warn out and the screw could vibrate to what ever idle it wanted to.

Reply to
sehaare

Check your throttle linkage to make sure that when the accelerator cable pulls it open it moves freely open and closed. Check both the primary (the one that first opens) and the secondary (guess when that opens lol) Sometimes they can stick and cause problems like you describe!

dave

Jim B.

Reply to
jimbehning

This happened to my old 78 Rabbit once. A vacuum hose had come loose.

Bill

78 Rabbit...10/77 - 4/02 82 Convertibles(s)...since 93 95 Golf GL...since 11/99 02 Passat 1.8T Tip GLS...since 4/02 (Remove the CAT to email me)
Reply to
William Maslin