High-miles 91 GTI 8V... sell it or part it?

Just looking for some quick opinions (although, feel free to make an offer if you're interested):

I have a Green '91 GTI 8V with 225K that needs to go. The car is totally stock with:

- excellent interior (both front seats and rear bench are in great shape)

- Alpine CD player (previous owner installed an amp in the back to power 6x9's in the hatch cover, but I never wired it up)

- full-size teardrop spare

- new alternator and battery

- no A/C or heater (the dead heater core is in the car, but after the A/C died it was pulled out)

- strong engine... 30+ mpg and it still pulls fine

What do you think... sell it or part it out? I imagine the interior and the five teardrops could fetch some cash, but selling would save the hassle of storing it while it's picked apart. Maybe $850 for the car would be reasonable...

The car's in the SF Bay Area if you're interested...

Thanks, Nathan

please reply via email: snipped-for-privacy@mack.com (remove the two k's to email me)

Reply to
Nathan Johnston

Sell! If you were in my area the car would be gone. (After checking everything to make sure you were telling the truth :). KBB for the car in my area lists $1,900 in "good" condition. Even if you were to just use the shell (It is straight, no dings, good paint?), I'm sure some projecteer somewhere would love to take that engine when it died and put something bigger in it. Too bad you're so far away :) Post pictures just for kicks :)

Reply to
Jed Frey

Jed Frey wrote: : Sell! : If you were in my area the car would be gone. (After checking : everything to make sure you were telling the truth :). : KBB for the car in my area lists $1,900 in "good" condition. Even if : you were to just use the shell (It is straight, no dings, good paint?), : I'm sure some projecteer somewhere would love to take that engine when : it died and put something bigger in it. : Too bad you're so far away :) Post pictures just for kicks :) :> Just looking for some quick opinions (although, feel free to make an :> offer if you're interested):

I wouldn't go by kbb list... When I bought a 1 year old Ford van from a Ford dealer I was complaining about not getting kbb value for my GMC trade-in.

He offered to take my trade-in at kbb trade-in if I paid kbb list...

I refused... using kbb values would have cost over $2k more. With all the

0% new cars, it's pushing down the value of used.
Reply to
Chicago Paddling-Fishing

Keep it, lots o life left.

Reply to
Mustangbrad

If it still makes a good cheap commuter, keep it.

No way. In the condition it's in, it's still pretty good as a whole car. I would only part it out if it was either hit or if the body was good but the engine shot. But it's still a decent complete car.

Actually if the engine was shot I wouldn't quite part it out anyway...I'd just sell it to another 'dubber who would have plans to do an engine transplant...it'd be a good car for a transplant for someone who felt inclined to do so.

Reply to
Matt B.