Horn Question...

My Horn gave up the ghost today..... So I went to Canadian Tire tonight to get a horn for my Jetta, and ended up buying the wrong one...it's a resonating horn, which sounds like something that would be appropriate for a

1955 Beetle...really wussy sound.

So, what is correct for this car, a High Tone, or a Low Tone. The car has dual horns, so I am guessing that there was one high and one low from the factory....the horn that I am replacing is the one that mounts behind the grille....is this the high tone or low? The horn on our 2003 NB is awesome...really loud and sounds like it would be appropriate on a Mack truck! Would this have 2 High tone, or 2 low tone horns?

Did the A2s have a loud horn from the factory, or was it always fairly reserved?

Thanks,

Peter

-- Pete Cressman snipped-for-privacy@rogers.com

1990 Jetta GLI Wolfsburg Edition 1968 Beetle GLX 2003 Beetle GLS

"On the road of life there are passengers and there are drivers"

Reply to
Pete Cressman

My old 91 Golf had a pretty impressive sounding horn... But if you want some real noise, take a trip to a Volvo dealer and get their high and low pitched horns (say its for like a 940 or 960.... the wiring for horns is probably universal, you may have to make a little bracket to hold them in or something tho).... The ones on my parents Volvo 960 are incredibly loud and just at the right pitch to wake people right up :-). They put my 99 Golf to shame (and I think it had a decent horn).

Reply to
Rob Guenther

A2 horns were OK. I replaced mine with air horns though just for fun. Sounds like a Ferrari now.

Are you sure your horn is bad? I've had the contact between the steering wheel and the column get crudded up with dusty-dirt. Removed the steering wheel and cleaned it up and bent it back into place a little bit and it was fine.

Reply to
Matt B.

Jim B.

Reply to
jimbehning

No need for psychic powers. Pete said A2, and he lists a "1990 Jetta GLI Wolfsburg Edition" at the bottom of his post.

Reply to
Randolph

Yeah...When I took the old horn off, it had alot of rust on the contact points....

I think I will live with this horn for now....it has a somewhat European flair to it....but then again...it does sound somewhat odd for the car...

Reply to
Pete Cressman
85 and 90 would be the same.

And my signature tells you what I have.

Reply to
Pete Cressman

R U sure, the engines arent the same, what makes the horns?

You list 3 VW's, most don't want to guess, its just easier to list it each time in the message body. Some of us use NG readers that hack off extraneous sigs as well...

Reply to
Biz