Hot disk brakes - normal?

This afternoon I went for a drive in my '88 Cabriolet convertible, which has disk front brakes and drum rear brakes. Usually I have a CD playing, but this time I had it turned off.

As a result I could hear automotive noises better, and I heard something that appeared to be coming from the front wheels. The sound (a thump, thump, thump sound) was only noticeable when the car was in motion, whether the car was in gear or in neutral. At a standstill I tried revving the engine, but there was no unusual noises then.

After pulling into my garage I felt the rear drum brakes, and they were cold to the touch. However both front disks (the large diameter metal disks, not the pads) were hot. I could touch them without burning my skin, but they were hot enough to cause pain. The emergency brake was off.

What do you think is the problem, or is this normal? The outside temperature was in the low 40s (Fahrenheit). Could the pads be defective or worn out? I think I remember reading something to the effect that pads will become noisy when they are worn out, and this is apparently built into the design of the pads as a way to warn the driver - but I may be incorrect on this.

Also, could it be something other than the brakes, such as the bearings? The car travels in a straight line, no wobble or tendency to veer to the right or to the left - even at freeway speeds.

Thanks for your insights.

Reply to
Papa

Disk brakes and brakes in general get really hot... what is hot to you and me isn't all that hot to metal.

Reply to
Rob Guenther

Stop this practice. Don't do it this way, unless you want to risk blisters next time. Don't do this any more than you would do this to check whether a skillet is hot. Learn from the mistakes of others.

Reply to
Tom's VR6

I found the answer, and it is good news. Disk brakes normally get hot to the touch. Some even have holes drilled in them to aid cooling.

Reply to
Papa

They get hot, it is true.

I drove my >I found the answer, and it is good news. Disk brakes normally get hot to the

Jim B.

Reply to
jimbehning

Thanks for relating your experience. Both front brakes are at about the same temperature, and the braking is very good, with no pulling one way or the other, I started wondering what the problem was when I began hearing a noise at the front end that only occurs when the car is in motion. Judging from the appearance of the disks (rusty and gouged), they just may be noisy even though braking is good. I'm going to have a mechanic take a look tomorrow. It won't hurt to replace the discs and pads, but the noise could be due to something else entirely (such as a dried out speedometer cable).

Regards.

Reply to
Papa

Turned out to be a bad front wheel bearing.

Reply to
Papa

If there was something wrong, you would be smelling your brake pads and if you touched the disc, you would really know what hot means.

Reply to
Peter Parker