how do i use a wheel bearing removal tool?

im thinking about buying a bearing removal tool to replace my front wheel bearings on my 88 16v scircco. Just wondering if anyone has had experience w/ this tool. will i be able to do the job without an impact wrench? what other tools will i need? any links out there that will show me a step-by-step?

Reply to
dave

I take the strut out, and leave the ball joint in the strut.

Take the circlips out of each side of the bearing.

Go to a press (manual press so you can feel if it's not giving/pushing out)

Push out the bearing with the new one.

Put the circlips back in and install it.

Of course this will take various bit's of material to put under the strut to hold it in line. I go to my friends machine shop. Tonnes of bits of metal of all shapes and sizes.

I have done it about 8 times now and are quite efficient.

I'd buy a small used press before buying a machine that ONLY does bearings.

My opinion.

Reply to
John Blaze

here is one that might work

$200 plus shipping right now How many bearings do you plan on doing? A lot of $$$

How about renting one, if you really want to use one?

I take hubs completely off and use a shop press. You can buy them from Harbor Freight Tools.

$245
$125
$110
$78or this might work. If it does let me know. lol later, dave Reminder........ Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way, when you criticize them, you are a mile away from them, and you have their shoes. Frieda Norris

Reply to
dave

You need an impact to use the tool... i think we talked about this a couple weeks ago... basically you take off the tire and rotor, pull the CV axle out of the hub, remove the circlips on the bearing and insert the tool and use an impact to get it off (IIRC it's been a while) I think you would be there FOREVER if you did not have an impact!

just $200 plus shipping right now>

Reply to
VWGirl

Jim B.

Reply to
jimbehning

how long did it take you to do it? I tried to use a wrench... maybe I am just not strong enough to do it... I didnt seem to get anywhere with it... took less than a minute with an impact

Reply to
VWGirl

I didn't have to use an impact wrench for the Schley wheel bearing tool that I rented from Rapid Parts. It had a nut on it about 3 inches long and I had to use a 1 1/4' open end wrench on it. It took some grunt to turn it, but it wasn't that bad. In addition, the instructions said to put plenty of oil on the threads of the press bolt, and I think that was essential.

Bill snipped-for-privacy@cvm.msstate.edu

78 Rabbit...10/77 - 4/02 82 Convertibles(s)...since 93 95 Golf GL...since 11/99 02 Passat 1.8T Tip GLS...since 4/02
Reply to
William Maslin

I've used this tool that I rented from

Needless to say I rented it. The best part about this tool is there is no need to loosen your bearing carrier from the strut assembly so you retain your front end alignment.

All that is needed is a couple of wrenches or common sockets and a circlip remover. Be warned that removing the main wheel nut may require an impact wrench. I tried removing it using a Craftsman 1/2" drive 3 foot breaker bar and broke

2 of them. Luckily Craftsman has a lifetime warrantee although the store didn't like that I broke 2 $30 breaker bars in one day.

--VJS '84 GTI 322,000 miles

Reply to
Victor Silva

Jim B.

Reply to
jimbehning

>> >$245

>> >$125

>> >$110

>> >$78

Reply to
VWGirl

Reply to
VWGirl

Jim B.

Reply to
jimbehning

didn't say i couldnt kick your butt! but there are still a lot of things i recruit guys to do for me :-P

Reply to
VWGirl

Why did you buy it? It's kind of expensive, unless you have a business.

I just remembered the two Craftsman breaker bars I broke were 3/4" drive and I also put a 4 foot pipe to them. That's how they broke. I saw another post about it.

--Vic

[SNIP]
Reply to
Victor Silva

because either i was gonna pay someone $200 to do my bearings AGAIN 4th time) or I was gonna pay $200 for the tool and not have to pay someone $100-200 again... hmmm.... which sounds like i get more out of it in the end?

Reply to
VWGirl

but how many times would i rent it before i paid for it????

Reply to
VWGirl