How easy are used VW New Beetles to sell?

I am trying to figuire out whether to trade my 2000 Beetle GLX or try to sell it outright. Does anybody know if 2000 Beetles sell very easy or not? I'm finding that the trade-in value is pretty low for the car.

Reply to
Gary D

How are your marketing skills? ;>)

Seriously, check Edmunds to find the right price based on condition, mileage, and options. Then use that as a basis for your sales pitch.

Reply to
Papa

I've done pretty good at selling many used cars. I have sold several Subaru Legacys, a couple of Imprezas and a couple Honda Civics plus a Toyota Tundra and a Ford Ranger. But these were all high demand cars, especially the Subarus since I live in Colorado. I'm wondering how much in demand a 2000 Beetle Turbo would be. I see a Beetle on almost every used car lot. Then on the cover of this years Consumer Reports Auto Issue, they had a picture of the Beetle on the cover under the caption; "Used cars to avoid"! I don't even know how well new Beetles are selling or if they are even popular any more. Does the general public know about the reliability problems?

Reply to
Gary D

My guess is that it partly depends on whether the New Beetle is a gas or diesel model. I'm not a big fan of the New Beetle at all, but I'd consider a used diesel one. My guess is that the diesel versions have high resale value. The gas versions, that is a totally different story . . .

-Bryan

Reply to
Bryan K. Walton

That's not been my experience. In Ohio where I live they seem to be popular, are in demand, and sell easily. Several friends own them, and have told me that reliability is about the same as most other cars.

How long have you been trying to sell yours? Are you sure the price is right?

Reply to
Papa

Like the other guy said, I see them on every used car lot. Check Edmunds, your local papers, then float a balloon and see what happens.

Whatever you do, DON'T trade it in because you will lose.

Reply to
Quento

The 1.8t's hold their value well.

Reply to
Lost In Space/Woodchuck

I haven't tried selling it yet but I have seen what dealers will give me for a trade and it's pretty low whether I'm looking at a Honda or a VW. Right now the going trade is for about $6 to $7000. Most lots are selling used ones for about $11 or $12,000. Most independant sellers are asking about $9 to $10 grand.

Reply to
Gary D

The $$ is about right for trade in. You got to figure the dealer will have to put some $$ before putting it on their lot including mechanical repairs along with a complete clean-up. The VW certification program does add $$ to the selling price which costs about $1000. Around my area anyways. Then the dealer needs to make a profit...

Reply to
Lost In Space/Woodchuck

Oh, I understand that they have to make a profit but the trade in value is much lower than a 2000 Subaru Outback that cost about the same new. But Subaru's are getting more for retail also. My car is clean and completely kept up mechanically so there would be minimal reconditioning if any.

Reply to
Gary D