how many mile to a tank of fuel?

not long had my vw golf 1.8 auto. it is 16 years old has been looked after and only done 85k. how many miles should i get out of full tank of fuel? at the moment a am only gettin around 260, is there something wrong?

Reply to
drunknmunky

The EPA estimate for my 1988 VW Cabbie with a 1.8 L, 8 V engine is about 24 MPG city, 27 MPG highway. With a 13.7 gallon fuel tank, that adds up to about 370 miles on a tankful of fuel on the open road, so something is definitely wrong. Mine actually gets about 30 MPG highway, which gives me a tank range of about 411 miles.

Check your fuel filter, spark plugs, etc.. Sounds like you need at least a tune up.

Reply to
Papa

I get 33 mpg highway, about 27 city.

Reply to
Dave

Tank of gas is not a unit of measure. How many gallons pumped and are those US gallons or some other countrys? A gallon is not a gallon you know.

Also the amount of city driv>not long had my vw golf 1.8 auto. it is 16 years old has been looked after

Reply to
Jim Behning

First I suggest measuring units of fuel not tanks. Fill it up record the miles. Next fill up record the miles and the gallons liters or whatever. Divide the miles by units and do this two more times. If all three are close, you now know what it is doing.

Tanks are not good measures. Not only do we tend to refill an not the exact same level as indicated on the gas gauge, but gas gauges can change calibration as the age. You might be doing a lot closer to what you use to get than you think.

As suggested, start with standard maintenance. BTW if you have the original timing belt, you are on borrowed time.

Reply to
Joseph Meehan

I've never heard of anyone driving a car until the fuel tank is dry. IE - "a full tank of fuel".

My 88 VW has 12 gallon tank. At just under a 1/4 per the fuel gauge is when I fill it again. This works out per the amount of gasoline stated by the pump at just under or at 9 gallons. Typically, I drive 300+ miles on that.

Fill and top the fuel tank without spillage. Drive the vehicle 260 miles. Immediately fuel the vehicle the same way again. Write down exactly how many gallons including tenths. Divide 260 by that figure. That is the miles per gallon figure over the terrain you chose to drive in including city, stop and go, rural, highway, hilly and flat terrain. Include that mpg figure and your typical driving terrain. Then, ask the question again. Stating the year of the vehicle is alot easier to read. IE - 1990 VW Golf.

Reply to
Jonny

my car vw golf vr6 2.8L m94 auto , need 11 galon each 425 K.m Jonny =D8=A3=D8=B1=D8=B3=D9=84=D8=AA:

Reply to
nono2010

Reply to
drunknmunky via CarKB.com

As others have said, a tank of fuel is not very specific. However since it's 16 years old I'm going to assume it's a 1990 model which makes it a Mk2 (and assuming it's not a convertible which would be a Mk1) and I'm going to assume it's a 14.5 US gallon tank (AFAIK all Mk2s were that size).

That said, my 1.8 8V Mk2 GTI 5-speed gets 29.5 miles/gallon (again, US gallons, not imperial, and not liters) and that means I get just over 400 miles to a tank. You have an automatic and those usually get less, but not THAT much less. You're talking 17-18mpg there. That's just awful for a Golf. Something is wrong for sure.

Reply to
Matt B.

All true but the information was more or less there to figure out what size tank we were talking about.

Reply to
Matt B.

Doesn't matter what the size of the tank is. No one drives a vehicle dry. Not knowing the amount of gas used, one can't guess the mileage. That's the point.

Reply to
Jonny

Reply to
drunknmunky via CarKB.com

I know what you meant, and I'm sure all these other turkeys knew what you meant, too. I get about 360 miles "on a tank" when all's well with my Jetta, and when it drops off that, it's either because of cold weather or something needing attention in the engine -- for example, it was the first indication I got that my mass-airflow sensor needed replacement. Yes, "miles per tankful" is a rough but useful measurement.

Reply to
Brian Running

Reply to
drunknmunky via CarKB.com

No, can't help you with that.

Reply to
Brian Running

That's all semantics and true in general, yes. But you can drive it to within a gallon of being dry and one gallon fudge-factor out of 14.5 gallons will affect the outcome less than 10 percent. For the distance the O.P. was claiming on a tank of fuel, adding in that 10% difference still wouldn't even come close to making his consumption look "OK" for that car. Therefore you don't need to burn the whole tank in its entirety to know something is wrong with his car.

Reply to
Matt B.

I'm only familiar with US/Canadian versions and UK versions are probably similar enough but they do differ on injection versions, catalytic converters (if they have one), etc.

A US version of that car would have put out 100hp with Digifant Fuel Injection. Euro versions were usually slightly higher if there was no cat. But if it's a CIS-injected car it actually might be a little lower (when the US went from CIS to Digifant on the 1.8 8V, the HP went from 85 to 100). So I'm going to guess that your engine if CIS was probably about 90hp if no cat, or about 85 with a cat. Your engine with Digifant would probably be about 108hp w/o a cat or 100 with a cat.

And I suppose that like the fuel tank scenario, there's plenty of folks out there that will probably completely invalidate my guesstimation of your engine's HP...whatever.

Reply to
Matt B.

And being a U.S. citizen, am aware of how people and corporations fudge the truth to death. This I can easily see particularly true of the "tankful" connotation. This can easily form a very big "ballpark" where assumptions and their consequential conclusions may be widely different as a result. It makes for lots of conversation about mushy figures and conclusions. In the end, means absolutely nothing with a very foggy basis as its foundation. There's plenty of other newsgroups for guessing games on mushy info. Please don't introduce that here. Thanks.

Reply to
Jonny

Boy, real life is sure a bitch, ain't it, Jonny?

Reply to
Brian Running

And the original poster has a hidden agenda behind his question right up there on par with big corporations that spread lies, so therefore his question was just as suspicious.

seriously...if he was only going to 1/4 tank instead of near empty, dontcha think he would have said "I get 260 miles to 3/4 of a tank"? C'mon dude...really.

Reply to
Matt B.