How much is a VW bus worth?

Guy next door has a 1967 VW bus he says is worth $20,000. It's very nice and restored and actually looks like a new car but are these things really worth this much? If so I'm getting another one and restoring it

Reply to
Strudelsmith

I believe they can be. But it depends on the year/style and how well it was restored. AFAIK, the "multi-window" buses carry a higher value than most others and a truly "mint" one that has undergone a complete ground-up resotration may be worth $20k. However, a really good restoration may cost several thousand itself. Steve Grauman

Reply to
Steve Grauman

there used to be only 3 kinds of buses. $100, $200, and $700. $200 bus was a $100 bus with a paint job. $700 bus was a $100 bus that someone paid $700 for. that was the '60s, so may have to allow a little for inflattion.

Reply to
northwind

Check "Old Cars Quarterly." They have values for cars older than 10 years, listed by five or six condition grades. I don't have a copy in front of me, but if the bus is truly near-mint and is good mechanically, it may well be worth ~20K.

Reply to
kokomoNOSPAMkid

********* Unless you do *all* the work yourself you could very well spend 20 grand restoring one. If you do the work how much time will you spend & how much money on parts (to make it *like new*)? Then of course you have to find a buyer willing to pay that... ~ Paul aka "Tha Driver"

ThaDriver

Reply to
Still in Primer