How to diagnose tranfer pump failure (88 Cabrio)

A friend just bought a used Cabrio. I think it's a 1988 but it might be a 1986. Anyway, the engine dies after he drives it for a mile or so. I guess it could be a plugged cat but we need to trobleshoot the transfer pump first. What's the best way to do this? Measure current in series with the power lead? Listen for pump noise?

Thanks!

Bill

Reply to
William Maslin

The main pump near passenger rear tire should start making a loud humming noise before engine quits....but in all reality the likelihood is almost certain it is the transfer pump. Thank goodness they made it so easy to change.

Reply to
Simplstupd

Check to see if the main pump is buzzing. It would be pretty nois outside the car if the transfer pump is going, as the transfer pum would be starving the main pump.

Da

From VWsport.com NNTP Gateway

Reply to
admin