How to replace a Mk4 Golf Rear Wiper Arm

Last week, I was being lazy and thought I could shift a huge pile of snow by activating the rear wiper. What I was left with was a wiper arm, spring and a bit of plastic on the floor - and maybe something else that went into the snow

Basically I can't get the thing to go back on. I've hooked one end of the spring around a notch on the bit of the rotor near the water nozzle, and the other end of the spring in the aperture about 1/3 away along the arm with the end of the arm fitting into its home near the water nozzle. Bit hard to explain, but it's the most logical way it would go.

I think it's more than the spring, because I know the wiper grunted away and I saw those bits on the floor. The spring was slightly deformed, but it took an incredible amount of force to hook it into position with the arm in place. Even when in place, I could not really lift it away from the window without it falling off

So I need to replace the wiper arm only. I've removed the hub over the water nozzle, and can see a nut, but taking the nut off doesn't seem to allow me to do anything. What do I need to do so I can replace the black arm which is attached to the rotating spindle. I have kept the blade that would attach to the end of it

The motor is good (well it needed replacing last year due to the fault where water gets inside), but it was done by Halfords/AA Service Centre (as part of my Carland warranty), so I reckon I am stuffed

Reply to
Mike NG

Are you sure it isn't a very tight cone fit onto the shaft? That's how the front Polo ones work and they can be very well meshed into the plastic, with splines on the spindles that grip the plastic. You might like to get confirmation it's the same on your car before levering or pulling like mad..

Reply to
Dave Hall

I don't have a golf but on my eurovan I had the rear wiper off once and another time I went to remove it and I guess the first time I put it back I put it on pretty tight because with the nut off it sure doesn't want to release.

Reply to
Matt B.

You can buy a special puller tool for windscreen wiper arms from Machine Mart. I know it's a bit of a luxury item, but hey, they not V.Expensive. £8.21inc VAT

Andy

Reply to
Nik&Andy

Thanks

Here is my state of affairs

Can't see how that tool will do the job

Reply to
Mike NG

Yes, that tool will work just fine, undo the not in the centre using a good ring spanner, then use the puller from machine mart to remove what is left of the arm...

It hooks under the bottom of what is left of the arm and pushes against the centre spindle bold to release the arm mechanism.

It will work fine.

Andy

Reply to
Nik&Andy

Thanks I see it now. I thought the spindle on the tool would sit on top of the water nozzle, but I need to turn it at right angles

Will the arm just then rotate off, and the new one rotate on again?

I will probably get my car serviced at Golf Nutz in Middlewich next, and get them to do that for me if it's too tricky!

Reply to
Mike NG

The wiper arm is only pressure fit, once looseened using the puller. or good home made device it will just fall off, nothing screws on except the locking nut.

To adjust the fit for a new arm (around £20) just flick the wiper switch after removing what is left of the old one and allow the motor to come back to park. Once the motor has parked you can fit a new arm in the parked position on the window.

Once you remove the stump of what is left, all will become clear :)

Andy

Reply to
Nik&Andy

A word of warning Do Not Use A Puller on this wiper as this will destroy the washer jet and distort the spindle which is hollow ! You would need to undo the nut by 2or 3 turns then use a socket as a spacer so that the puller presses against the nut rather than the end of the spindle ! P.S. looking at your picture you have broken the arm and will need to fit a new one.

Reply to
radar

They usually don't rotate off...they usually pull straight off (I wouldn't rotate it 'cause you might damage the motor). They fit on a spindle with little grooves and they kinda just grip that way. Problem is they sometimes grip too well.

Reply to
Matt B.