HOw to reset computer?

I have a 1999 VW Beetle. Engine light came on. I think it was a vacuum leak, so I fixed the line, disconnected the battery, reconnected, but the light stays on.

How do I reset the computer? Do I have to take it in the shop to reset or is there a trick to resetting it at home?

Thanks Bob

99 Beetle 04 Jetta
Reply to
Bob

if it was the vac line, the car will evaluate it for a while and reset it itself if it thinks the problem is fixed.

if that wasn't the real trigger of the error code, you'll still get the light.

you can only reset it at home with a VAG-COM.

Reply to
Matt B.

If you indeed fixed the issue then it will go out in a week or less.

Reply to
Lost In Space/Woodchuck

Thanks for the info.

I am looking at the Actron OBD II Scanner CP9135. I have been wanting one. This one says it reads European cars and will reset the computer. Anyone have an experience with this?

Bob

Reply to
Bob

I have one, and it works well. It will erase the codes, and shut off the "check engine" light.

Now, whether there's a difference between "erasing the codes" and "resetting the computer," that's an open question.

Reply to
Brian Running

The only way to go is with the rosstech VAG-COM, that way you can also check other systems such as ABS, airbag, trans, etc.

Reply to
Lost again

From the Actron tech support:

It clears trouble codes. It doesn't erase actual fuel maps, timing curves, etc. Thanks, Vic Ellinger Actron Tech Support

1-800-ACTRON-7

Reply to
Bob

You need a tool to get in the computer. Do a web search for VAG-COM. The firt time you buy, it will be about the same as a dealer service visit. If you're in the San Diego area, I can do it for you for free.

-Mike

Reply to
crizzam

I would also apriciate knowing how to reset the computer, Ive been having some different problems and when I disconect ther bat. nothing changes, it dosent even reset my radio stations.

-Kirk- snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

Reply to
331729

Thanks for the offer Mike. I am in Texas; however, after driving the car for a week, the light finally went out on its own.

Reply to
Bob

The guys here at my Autozone don't know crap. I called them and asked if they can reset it with their code reader and they said no. I know they can, but they don't know how to use it I guess.

I saw the license for the VAG-COM software is $99, if I priced it correctly, but the cables were over $200. Am I wrong?

Reply to
Bob

After a few times of having that light come on and diagnosing the problems. That $200+ vag-com tool will pay for itself! ;-)

Don't settle for the "clones" while trying to save a few dollars! Get the real thing that can handle the latest software and you can easily resell if needed! Oh and you have TWO VWs................you need a vag-com! lol

JMHO later, dave (One out of many daves)

dave AKA vwdoc1

Just go to Autozone and borrow there scanner and reset the code. Almost all ODB2 scanners will reset the service codes. If the light fails to go off then you might want to scan for the codes. There is a list on

You can buy the service manual or pay a small fee to use the site.. If you have a laptop you can get the Vag-com software and a cable. The cheap way is just borrow a hand held scaner at Autozone to reset the code...

Reply to
newsviewer

The software is free and you can buy the cable on Ebay for cheap.

later...

Reply to
Peter Parker