I hope this helps someone !

Hi, This Groups helped me,i cant claim, that i am a mechanic, but when i start my VW Golf CL J Reg Mk 3, something seems to overrun, in the front of the car. I was told by a mechanic, that its a starter moter over running, whatvere that means, but its nothing to worry about.

Thanks

Reply to
VW Internet

Its the starter motor. It has a plastic set of gears inside that dries up and gets noisy. Normally by the time it gets noisy its already broken and if you try to get to it to grase it you'll finish ruining it.

Now... if you really need the car to be realiable, fix it now. I will leave you stranded in the future. Maybe next week. Maybe next year.

Reply to
Eduardo K.

Eduardo Hi, I will get that sorted. I have spent so much on car bills this month..

Grr

Reply to
VW Internet

May mean the starter motor gear is sticking a bit - I think I'd want to clean it up and lubricate the shaft - even a bit of WD40, but better some light cycle oil to stop it happening. If it jams in there badly, it can damage at least the starter motor, and I've heard they can even catch fire - not heard it of VWs though.

Reply to
Dave Hall

Sounds like the starter solenoid is sticking.

Reply to
Papa

Prob is if it keeps on doing it, you may get damage to the flywheel starter ring (the gears that the starter motor meshes with to turn over the engine). Some starter rings are split to aid replacement some its an engine strip to replace. If you take the starter out and look for damage to the teeth, this is an indication of the ware on the starter ring. If you find damage to the ring the chances are if the starter is replaced the damage to the starter ring will cause premature ware to the new starter.

I hate to be the doom and gloom merchant but I have had this prob on a Renault 19 (yes I know).

Regards

Chuckie F

Reply to
Chuckie Finzter