i need some advice plese...on rear lights...95 golf

The R5W is for your parking lights.

If all the bulb sockets are only single contact, then you just need one R5W and however many P21W per side. If any are double contact, those are the ones that get the P21/5W.

Don't the socket assemblies tell you which bulbs to buy right on them?

Anyway, one thing you should know is that if you ask for any of the numbers we've been using, you won't find them at your FLAPS

R5W = 5007 P21W = 7506 P21/5W = 7528

nate

Reply to
Nate Nagel

That's the bulb holder tray.

Yes.

On a Golf they all should be single-contact.

Not necessarily. They all share the same base but the bulbs themselves might be different.

For a US/Canadian/Mexican Golf, it should be P21W at the top (turn signal), P21W in the center (reverse), P21W bottom row inner (brake), and R5W bottom row center (taillamp), and also another R5W bottom row outer (another taillamp).

For European-spec, the bottom row is different (P21W inner (rear fog) or blank (the side w/o a rear fog), R5W bottom row center (taillamp), and P21W bottom row outer (brake)).

Reply to
Matt B.

hi...somehow all my lights are burnt out in the rear...the police tells me;-)

it'a 95 golf

in any case there's a triangular plastic thing with traces on it that looks like a circuit board only cruder...with wide part down and narrow part up

so i go to my local canadian tire and the young guy finds that car and says ok you need however many of this... P21W 12v (Bp2)

it doesn't seem to be working so i go to another branch where a diferent kid says "oh no that guy's wrong you need this one also.... R5W, a small bulb compared to the others

there are 5 bulbs on this board total....three in a row on bottom row with the r5w in the middle on that row.

above that in the middle is another socket and at the top a nother single socket

now a third store guy says no there are THREE different bulbs needed

P21W P21/5W and a single R5W

can someone please help me get theses in the rigght order?

i foolishly did not make note of which wasb where

after all I have both the Hanes AND Chilton guides

the Hanes acknowledges a triangular shaped thing...and thats all....the Chilton looks like it's made fior a mechanic

neither book shows that there are 3 different bulbs or where they should go

thank yo

Pat

Reply to
rez o.nance

thanks so much both of you....i got it mostly figured excep the r5w in the outer position.....the only mention of it is in middle bottom position

youare correct..my volks dealer was too busy to give more than a quick look 9his partner was off visiting germany )

but he did point out you'd have 3 contacts in the socket if it was a 2 filament

shit like cp-xxxx = something or other that confused me....

Not necessarily. They all share the same base but the bulbs themselves

really? i have it=\]+as you say but i thought it was just shoddy workmanship on the bulb size....with a p21w in outer position (the far greater number of opinions had it this way)...because all but that bulb went back on car smoothly ...the outer position refused to into holes in red plastic thing,,i knocked that little bit of plastic off! to accomodate it....but fortunately it wont interfere with the right ones being there...

maybe this one was breought over?

oh, one more thing...is there something related to the right rear side that has anything to do with the power train?

it's developed a nasty kind of rumble back there intermittently....i DID get rear ended by a ford f-150 while stopped at light with brakes on and they only sent me to a body shop and they put a new bumper (tiny little impresion where the screws held on his license plate)

i suppose it's likely there was functional damage they preferred not to find)`

Reply to
rez o.nance

Middle bottom would be for euro models but for USA/Canada it'd be both middle bottom and outer bottom.

Sort of. Technically there's three contacts but you'd only really see two contacts if it's 2 filament and the rim of the socket is essentially the 3rd contact (the rim of the socket and the rim of the bulb is ground.

If you had to knock off a bit of plastic to make a P21W fit in the lower outer position, then it is indeed the wrong bulb. P21W have a larger globe than a R5W.

Reply to
Matt B.