I saw the weirdest VW today, any ideas what it was.

Driving down the highway today, all of a sudden I hear something that sounds like a souped up lawnmower in the distance... It's this incredibly ugly looking brown pickup truck. Had a large front cab with a flat nose, looked like it was a "King Cab" with seats behind the drivers seat, but with only 2 doors. It had a very tall body... It looked like a Vanagon that had been converted (maybe a microbus).... I thought that only sold weird derivatives of their rear engined, anemic buses to the people in Europe? What good would a rear engined truck with like 40 horsepower be to anyone?

Anyhow, does anyone have any idea what the model name is?

Reply to
Rob Guenther

derivatives

Singlecab. Been around since the late fifties. And you don't need to be able to accelerate like a VR6 to haul a lot of stuff around...

However, since you're desperate for a little pep, this one is porsche powered:

Andre Levac

Reply to
Rob Guenther

They came in several different models. I can't remember the official name, but they were known as VW Pickups, Drop Gates, and several other names, They were part of the transporter series.

They were very useful.

Here is a photo:

I have a better photo and you can find them in many books about Air-cooled VWs.

Reply to
Joseph Meehan

Sold as part of the Eurovan/Transporter line as well...In Canada, we only got the dropside and single cab with the Eurovan styling from 1991-1994.5...

Very rare, and they (the dropside models) are highly valued...VW only sold about 2300 of the dropside/single cab Eurovan/Transporter vehicles from

1991-1994.5 in Canada...of course, Eurovan did much better as a passenger vehicle...IIRC, the dropside and the single cab were more expensive than the Eurovan itself...

Reply to
Pete Cressman

1991-1994.5...
Reply to
Rob Guenther

LOL....what I meant was that the last dropside that we had in Canada was the Eurovan styled version.

Reply to
Pete Cressman

BTW I saw one still in regular service, just a few years ago in Centralia WA.

Reply to
Joseph Meehan

OK thats it. These trucks are so ugly that no-one should be allowed to post any pictures of them on the internet. I like VW's built in the last 10 years but these old things are ugly as hell and shouldn't even be discussed here any more. Any one who likes these old things is sick. Let focus on the new stuff and try to forget we ever saw pictures of these ugly old things OK?

Reply to
Tom Levigne

As my cousin in Nova Scotia says...you don't know where you're going unless you know where you've been.

You can't move forward without identifying with the past.

Reply to
Pete Cressman

Reply to
Rob Guenther

Yea, they were ugly just like the original Beetle. However that is part of what made them special.

Reply to
Joseph Meehan

If it should be hidden because it is ugly, then someone is going to make a law to prevent me from showing my face in public. ;-)

Reply to
Joseph Meehan

What's what? BTW: top posting sucks big time.

so, what?

LOL!

VW built anything even close to a car in the past 10 years? For European or northern american market? Didn't notice. Hey guys, did I miss something there?

Maybe you're in the wrong group here - so better take your stinkin piece of shit current model VW and head to a WWW-based discussion board, will ya?

Yeah, sure. Do the doctors already allow you to leave the sanitarium grounds on your own again?

Why would anyone want to focus on shit - unles you're a fly?

Na, nothing's ok, you need treatment, desperately.

Ingo

Reply to
Ingo Braune

Your Internet Privileges have been suspended for 24 hours while you go sit in the corner.

*Time Out*

TBerk

Come to Germany sometime, they're common as hell over here. There's a building company that shares the place that we (a couple of pals and myself) have rented for wrenching that has three company cars: one Mercedes 207D crew cab (marked for the scrapyard in a few week's time), one Vanagon kombi and one Vanagon single cab -- all of them Diesels.

Poor single cab is being punished all day, every day, with a tonne of cargo and another two tonnes on its trailer hitch. Doesn't even get real Diesel -- cooking oil must suffice. And still it's doing its job without fail. One must admire the thing, regardless of its beauty (or lack thereof). This is what Volkswagen is about, not a "New Beetle" Turbo or a Phaeton V 10 TDI.

But if you're concerned about power or creature comforts, consider the 2.1 litre, 112 bhp, automatic, synchro, air-condidioned single cab (!) they used to have at Volkswagenwerk Braunschweig's fire department when I used to have a job there (driving the snowplow no less) ten years ago ...

Yours, Erik.

Reply to
Erik Meltzer