Ideas where to put XM receiver in Jetta

I'd appreciate a few ideas here. I'm 95% certain I'm getting a Delphi SkyFi2 receiver unit in my trusty 94 Jetta sometime in the next few days. I initally liked the Roady2 because its smaller but I like the controls on the SkyFi better. Anyway... Does anyone have any "cool" places to mount this thing on the dash. I've thought about on the left side under the headlight switch area, but that seems a little too easy for someone to notice for a quick and easy grab. Also to the right of the center stack below where I suppose the airbag would inflate. I guess there's no great place. Oh and on this wireless FM modulator feature. Where is that signal radiated from. On person said it is actually in the XM antenna and another said the body of the receiver. I figure the closer I can get it to the Jetta antenna the better, within reason. And I really don't want to buy a new radio with integrated XM for the car.

Thanks in advance.

Reply to
DriveSpy

Good for you for going with the SkyFi. The Roady II is too small, and you literally cannot see what the identical buttons are for unless you stare at the unit (taking your eyes off of the road). It's wayyy to hard to flip between channels and genres.

Tim Wohlford '89 Golf '98 Jetta

Reply to
Tim Wohlford

I've tried a number of ways of mounting my SkyFi in the 2002 Golf. The supplied brackets are too clumsy. The only satisfactory way I've found is as follows:

I have bent a U-shaped piece of flashing (thin-stiff) aluminum. The arms are 1.5 inches long - maybe 2 inches. The "bottom" of the U is about 1.25 inches - the same width as the vertical dimension of one of the center-dash air vents. The cross-ways dimension is a little less than the width of the air vent.

The arms of the U are slid just above and just below the left center dash air vent - making sure the vent stays parallel with the dash. I've first screwed the docking / socket thing for the SkyFi to the "bottom" of the U - which ends up maybe 3/4 of an inch out from that air vent. I use a little piece of duct tape to keep the upper arm of the U from sliding in or out. Allowing the lower arm of the U to slide in/out helps get the SkyFi at a nice angle.

Bob Carpenter XM listener since November 2001

TOP S +-------------------------- arm slid into dash k | i | F | i +---------------------------- arm slid into dash

Reply to
R J Carpenter

I wonder if Sirius has a better design since Sirius is an automotive partner with Volkswagen.

Reply to
Peter Parker

in the trash you need to get sirius for howard stern!!

Reply to
AlanH70