Idle / engine problem 1990 Coupe 3A 2.0

1990 UK Coupe, 2.0e 4 cylinder 3A engine, 140,000 miles.

The engine idles fine when started, barring the occasional stall initially. Engine pulls great, feels smooth when applying & releasing throttle. Economy 32mpg (UK) about town, 38mpg on motorway, which I reckon is pretty good. Stopping at lights, the idle is around 800 revs, a bit lumpy but basically ok. Temp is about 1/3 up the guage, or 1/4 on motorway.

After driving for a 'while' (anything from 5 mins to 30 mins) the engine mode will change - applying or releasing the throttle makes the engine jerk, and when stopping at lights, the idle will bounce between

1000 & 1100 revs, once a second. These two symptoms are always concurrent. The economy is the same as before. This switch in modes seems unrelated to time, or temperature. It often follows a sprint of heavy throttle / acceleration. The engine will stay in this mode until it's shut off. when restarted, the first (smooth) mode occurs, and the cycle repeats.

I've changed the ISV, without major difference. I also found and repaired a bad vacuum hose, which helped the 'good' idle a bit, but didn't change the second 'bad' engine mode.

Any ideas on where I should look next?

Many thanks, Jamie

Any ideas on where I should look next?

Reply to
fishjam

It's not the culprit but you should change the thermostat when you've got the time. The readings are way to low.

Ronald

Reply to
reply

Exhaust gas recirculation (EGR) valve if your car has one? Any fault codes reported by ECU?

Reply to
draugaz