Ignition control module

Hello

I just had to replace my ignition control module on my 99 b5 passat wagon

1.8 t.

My question is What does it do? is it common to have these go? and why do they cost 500.00 plus labor and taxes?

Thanks

Ted

Reply to
Ted Manto

It triggers your coils to fire the spark plugs. There is an Audi "equal" which goes for around $200 US and that what I used on my parents 99 Passat. I bet you had number 2 cylinder dead? Common, not really.

Reply to
Woodchuck

Think of it as the CPU/mb/hd all rolled into one.

Reply to
Dave

Used to be installed with a flathead screwdriver for about $1.38 and called "points".

Reply to
Jeff

.... plus the condenser. I think it added another whopping 50 cents to the overall cost. ;>)

Reply to
Papa