Injector cleaning - 87 Golf

Our 87 Golf runs rough when cold. Seems OK while starter is engaged but then it runs really rough. So as has been suggested my injectors may be dirty and dribbling. I strongly suspect this as I changed out the fuel distributor and the problem started a few days later.

Can these injectors be cleaned?

Thanks,

j hite

Reply to
john hite

It's called an injector purge, I'd say almost every garage in north america can perform this. Or you could buy a bottle or two of injector cleaner and run them through the system. Rough idle could also be a bad idle air control motor or a break in a vacuum line or lack of tune up. I;d aim more toward a broken vacuum line, an easy way to check is to buy a bottle of intake cleaner. Spray around vacuum sources such as vacuum lines or intake to see if the roughness stops.

Reply to
Mustangbrad

Dirty or clogged injectors can leak while the car is off, then when you start the car it takes a few minutes to burn the raw fuel off. This could be your problem.

I'd pour a bottle of Techron fuel additive into your next tank of gas and drive the car at high RPM whenever possible (like in 4th gear on the freeway instead of 5th etc). Then run another bottle through the next tank after that and see how that does. I've had excellent results using Techron to clean and restore my injectors on a few VWs and two BMWs. If it doesn't fix your problem then you'll need to have them professionally cleaned. One or more may be partically clogged by a small particle released when you changed the fuel distributor so the cleanings may not work.

Randy

85 GTi 89 325is
Reply to
Randy Walters

Usually a car would run like that all the time if the inj. were dirty and not after 2 minutes would it stop. I know these car's have a cold start injector but i;m not to sure about timing of when it is on or off. Maybe you should research into that. It might be controlled by the temp sensor, have you replaced the temp or oxy sensor lately?

Brad

Reply to
Mustangbrad