instrument cluster questions

I need to replace the instrument cluster on a 97 jetta GT. I got a quote on a used one for $125. Does this sound like a good deal? My next question is: Is the mileage stored in the instrument cluster or is it stored else where?

Thanks

Reply to
Runjgdrun

Not a bad price but the mileage is stored in the EPROM.

Unsure if anyone, including the dealer can change it.

It is against the law to change mileage but most states have a provision in the title where you can say that the mileage was replaced.

Reply to
Dave

One can not change the odometer on those. A new one will read "0" and that is that. When a new instrument cluster is installed, a sticker noting the milage on the old cluster is to be mounted on the B pillar.

Reply to
Pencilneck