Intermediate Shaft Sprocket Removal

Okay, you folks gave me some good advice about how to remove the crankshaft sprocket on my GTI. Now I'm looking at the intermediate shaft sprocket and wondering about the best technique to keep it from spinning while breaking the nut. Unlike the crankshaft sprocket and camshaft sprocket, there doesn't seem to be an obvious place to wedge a pin, screwdriver, block of wood, etc., to react the load. Has anyone developed a good technique for this? TIA.

Reply to
Kent

The intermediate sprocket bolt is out after some creative wedging. Now I'm frustrated that I can't remove the sprocket from the shaft! I followed the instructions in my manual that said to loosen the bolt a bit and then tap the sprocket with a soft-faced hammer to loosen. I've tapped as hard as I'm comfortable, and the sprocket still won't budge. For some reason it seems to be seized on the shaft. There's not much clearance for access, but I think I'm going to have to rent a small low-profile puller to get this sprocket off. Anyone else ever have this problem?

Reply to
Kent

The intermediate shaft sprocket finally came off with some penetrant and a small two-arm puller (rented of course). Turns out there was a significant amount of corrosion between the sprocket and the shaft. The camshaft and crankshaft sprockets slipped right off once the bolt was removed, so I'm not sure why the intermediate sprocket was the only one corroded. Any ideas? All the sprockets will be reinstalled with antisieze, so I don't have to deal with the corrosion again.

On to seal replacement...

Reply to
Kent

Jim B.