is ESP worth the extra $$$?

We are "this close" to purchasing a new Jetta.

Question: Is ESP a "must have" feature, or should I save my $430 (Canadian)?

As I had it explained to me, ESP is to handling as ABS is to braking. Is ESP as important as ABS breaks?

Cheers.

Reply to
Wyley Ingeus

I opted out.

In my fathers mercedes the ESP can be disabled and the difference is day and night. I can really notice the difference in the snow, the esp system actually assists the car in a turn on slippery surfaces by optimizing the amount of force that should be applied to brakes versus the turn (remember that the maximum friction avaible to the tire has to be shared between the turn and/or braking) the esp system(as i understand it) will optimize the the turning radius in function of the drivers inputs.

When enabled the car "tracks" through the turn and i find that no matter how hard i try to make the car spin out the computer corrects my "over reactions"

The most noticeable "nice weather" feature i've experienced was that the ESP will detect emergency braking situations by the speed/pressure that the driver applies on the pedal and electronically apply maximum braking force more effeciently than a human driver could do so. This happened to me as i was coming of an autoroute/interstate, i thought i was in my manual jetta and "slammed" in the clutch, evidently in the mercedes i hit the brake and was attonished at the forces that came into play.

Makes me kinda regret my decision for not getting the esp in the jetta. However his mercedes is a 4matic (electronically controlled 4 wheel drive system) and maybe when disabled the car became a pure rear wheel drive, so im not sure if both esp's can fairly be compared.

hope it helps.

inbetweendays

2003 jetta 1.8t

Reply to
Inbetween Days

Go For It.

I have driven ESP equipped vehicles...and they are awesome

Reply to
Pete Cressman

Yes!

Reply to
Woodchuck

Electronic traction/braking aids, 4 wheel drive etc. etc. will go a long way to help optimize traction for the tires on your vehicle, but not one bit more.

If it's snow traction you're worried about, I'd opt to spend money on top-of-the-line snow tires to increase the amount of available traction for steering and braking.

Bruce

Reply to
B. Skelton

I just bought by '04, and already like the ESP feature.

There are four major ABS funstions in use in your car. I'll list them briefly. [Quoted from From: Alden Cates ( snipped-for-privacy@mac.com)]

ABS - Anti-lock Brake System This works by preventing wheel lock-up under driving conditions. It measures the speed of the other wheels in relation to a potentially locked up one, and releases the brake caliper of the slowed/stopped wheel, and re-applies it when the wheel reaches speed. Assuming that another wheel will lock under this condition, the brakes will occillate (pulse if you will) as the system continues to slow the car to an under 25MPH speed (I think it's acually slower than that.) At which point the ABS will disengage, and allow the wheels to lock-up.

EDL - Electronic Differential Lock This works at speeds under 25mph by applying the brake to the drive wheel spinning faster than its mate. If both wheels are spinning at the same speed, it won't brake a wheels. All front-wheel drive VR6, V6 and 1.8T VWs have this and there is no off-switch (see ASR).

ASR - Automatic Slip Regulation This works at all speeds by automatically throttling back when the drive wheels are slipping. So, you could be on ice and floor the go-pedal and the ECU will over-ride your desire to spin the wheels silly. There is an "ASR" button on the dash that will toggle this on/off; not sure if turning off ASR also turns off EDL. In '98 & '99, only the Passat V6 had ASR then in '00 all FWD VR6, V6 and

1.8T engines received ASR.

ESP - Electronic Stability Program(?) ESP places extra sensors in the car (in the steering column, yaw & pitch sensor, g-force, etc) to gather data on whether the car is going where the driver wants it to go. If it is not, ESP will brake ANY wheel independently of all the others to help bring the car into line, helping to prevent loss of control in emergency maneuver or in rain/snow/etc. It may also work with the ASR, depending on how severe the car thinks you're out of control. At this time, only the '00 Audi A8, A6 4.2 and TT have ESP (in the VW/Audi line up, many BMWs, MBs & Porsches have their own version of ESP.) This works in addition to FWD & AWD.

The ESP program came out as a result of the European equivalent of the Suzuki roll-over test, only done with a Golf IV an Opel and the Mercedes A-class vehicles...

Sold me in a heartbeat. I even had VW sales managers ask me if I knew what the ESP function was, whilst they frantically searched for the car that I purchased.

BTW: I confess to having tested each of these functions in controlled conditions. Having spun, slid, and tossed almost every car I've ever owned through some reasonably (not rally-like) conditions, I assure you that these features are a must in my driving book. Having had to do elk-test like manouvers in other cars (and survived) and then done it with the VW, the experience is surreal. The VW handles almost in a balanced and predictable manner, compared to those vehicles of yore.

Makes me feel sad for the rest.

Reply to
Don Mac Phee

I've been in a 2003 Jetta Wagon with ESP in the winter... and it's darn near impossible to throw it out of shape, and my friend who was driving was trying to make the car slide around... the thing fought out an e-brake slide.... Now his car (the wagon was his parents), a 2003 Golf doesn't have it... and with top quality Michelin winter tires on it, he could still make this thing slide around pretty good.... Plus you can turn ESP off.

Reply to
Rob Guenther

Ok, this is an old post but what the heck.

I have ESP on my 2003 Eurovan Weekender. I accidentally tested it out when I slammed on the brakes while doing about 105 (yes, the new EVs can go that fast). The rear end tried to come around and then corrected itself. If I had tried this move with the ESP off I'm 90% sure I would have seriously F'd myself.

Might not make as much difference in a Jetta but in a 6000lb van it sure does.

Reply to
www.ttdown.com

You, my friend, are a madman! 105 in an EV...yeehaaaa (:^P)

Reply to
Tony Bad

Yes. We have it in my 2003 Jetta and our 2001 MB 420. We had the occasion to use it in the MB. It saved our tails.

Reply to
Tom R.