Is pedal resistance adjustable?

I test drove a 2003 Jetta GLS (no turbo) last week. One thing I didn't like was that the brake and gas pedals were very touchy.

At first, I thought it was me being used to the degraded performance of my '88 Jetta. But then I drove Corolla and a Civic. Their pedals weren't touchy and overall performance was similar.

I find that a pedal with too little resistance makes control more difficult and contributes to driving fatigue.

So what do twitchy pedals signify? Is it maintenance issue on the car I drove? Is it just how newer Jettas are made? Is something that could be adjusted to suit my driving style?

Reply to
Eric Edwards

Twitchy brakes are normal... they smoothed them out on the newer models tho (my dad's 2003 Golf has far less "twitch" then my 99.5 Golf)... New pads helped my car, as did a fluid flush ans bleed of the system.... Tho they are still very sensitive.

I was shocked the first time I drove a Mk4..... but I soon got used to it.

Civic has a similar brake pedal feel to a Mk2 VW - nice and progressive.

......... The Jetta has more in the brakes department then any stock Corolla or Civic tho, I wouldn't worry about the touchiness, you will adjust.

Reply to
Rob Guenther

DO NOT FEED THE TROLL!!!!

BAHAHAHA!!!

Reply to
Peter Parker

Care to explain why you think I'm trolling? Do I need to send you the VIN number of my '88 Jetta?

Reply to
Eric Edwards

I'm not sure that make sense. I was on a hilly freeway doing 70-75. I wouldn't think that low end torque would be applicable, although I confess, I wasn't looking at the tachometer. The 2.0L certainly does run out of steam when pushed, as do the engines in the Civic and Corolla. Nonetheless, the Jetta seemed to require delicately balancing my foot over the accelerator and the Civic and Corolla didn't.

Reply to
Eric Edwards

I was wondering about that too. Makes no sense.

Reply to
Papa

If you drop PP in your bit-bucket, you'll have a much better time here. I'd never seen it offer a constructive post so it's been gone since my first week or two here and I doubt I've missed anything.

YMMV,

TK

Reply to
TDKozan

Amen. I did exactly that myself oh, probably over two or three years ago.

Reply to
C_S

Working as designed :)

Just in the beginning until you get used. Took 2 or 3 days for me. Afterwards I actually like them very much. And it is a pain to get back to the "usual" cars: "oh $h!t, where did the brakes go?!?"

Reply to
draugaz

I've only driven a Civic... and it's smoother then a 2.0L/5 speed combo... Might be something to get checked out on the Jetta.... my dad's 2.0L Golf isn't overly twitchy, more sensitive than a Civic tho.

Reply to
Rob Guenther

Reply to
none2u

I never found any of my old VW's to have "touchy" brakes (various A1s and A2s) and I prefer them that way. I too find brakes that are too overboosted difficult to control and more fatiguing than normal. I often drive while wearing steel toed boots so overboosted brakes actually make me work harder, as often the weight of my leg resting on the pedal is more than required for normal braking.

nate

n> Yea,I agree. You will like them. They're touchy because there's a lot of

Reply to
Nate Nagel