Is Rabbit = Mk I Golf ?

Please help aleviate my confusion and/or ignorance.

Is Rabbit = Mk I Golf ? Are Rabbit years 1975 thru 83? Do all Rabbits have sunroofs ? (I hate sunroofs) Do all Rabbits have mechanical fuel injection ? Do any Rabbits have brains ? (If no EFI then no brain ?) Are all gas Rabbits either 1100cc or 1600cc ? Are all manual Rabbits 4 speed ? Is there such a thing as a 'GTI Rabbit' ? - if so, is a GTI Rabbit rightly called a 'Rabbit' ? Does all years of Rabbits come with both manual and automatic ? Is Rabbit automatic like 'electric shift' on a Bug ? GOLF derives from german for 'Gulfstream' . Jetta derives from ??? (jetstream?) Does the name 'Scirocco' derive from some something? Is a Dasher aircooled or water cooled?

Your help is greatly appreciated.

Bill S. - in Seattle, WA, USA

Reply to
Mr. Correct

Yes

Through 1984 actually. And convertibles continued under a couple of other names ("Cabriolet" in the US and "Golf Cabriolet" in Canada) through 1993.

No

No but it's only the earliest ones that were carbed. Not sure what year they went FI but I'd guess 1975-1976 are probably carbed and '77-up are FI. Just a guess though.

Not sure on that one. Pretty sure it's "no" but still a guess.

No 1100s in the US and since the Rabbit name was used in the US and Canada, I'm gonna say therefore we never got a 1100 and I don't believe Canada did either. We got 1.5L, 1.6L, 1.7L (I think the 1.7s started around 1981 or

1982 and the earlier cars are 1.5 and 1.6) and 1.8L (Rabbit GTI, 1983/1984). Canada got a few GTIs in the late 1970s (1979 I think) before the US did and they were 1.6L models and fuel injected (similar to the German versions of the era).

GTIs are 5-speed and I believe many of the 1.7s are also 5-speed. Not sure about the 1.5s and 1.6s but they're probably 4-speed.

Yes. Well, "Rabbit GTI".

It's a Rabbit with a more powerful engine, sports suspension, better brakes, sport interior. As the overseas cars were Golfs and Golfs GTIs, ours were Rabbits and Rabbit GTIs.

Yes but not all trim levels (no Rabbit GTIs were autos, for example).

No it's a more typical/traditional 3-speed automatic (e.g.: PRND21)

Jettastrom

Yes

A desert wind.

Water, engines similar to Rabbit except do 1.8L, and Dashers were available here from 1974-1981. The Dasher was really the 1st generation Passat and VWoA as usual back then liked to rename things. It's also the same platform as the Audi Fox (Audi 80 overseas) of 1974-1980, the wagon bodies are shared between VW and Audi with only minor front end styling differences (grille, lamps) and the other bodystyles were sedans (Audi) and hatchbacks (VW).

your questions are much enjoyed :)

Matt B. in San Diego, CA, USA

Reply to
Matt B.

I believe you could get a carb through 84.

Cars with CIS-lambda have an ECU. I don't believe it does a whole lot.

Just to pick a nit, Dashers were fastbacks, not necessarily hatchbacks. Dasher sedans look identical to the hatchbacks with the exception of the trunklid seam.

Interestingly enough, the Dasher has a close relative that is air cooled. The Brazilian Gol (later sold with a trunk as the VW Fox in the US) was initially available with an air cooled engine.

Robert

Reply to
Robert Kidd

yes

'84 (cabriolet kept on going for a few years)

no

no, some had carbs

maybe cabbys but other than that no

GTI was 1800cc here in the Yoo Ess. I've never seen a 1100.

no

yes and yes, it is badged as a "Rabbit GTI"

not sure

No, it is a conventional auto transaxle

yes. it is some sort of desert wind. (the car is based on the Rabbit chassis)

water

HTH

nate

Reply to
Nate Nagel

Yep...now that you mention it, I recall that. The lowest models were still carbed.

So there were Dashers that weren't hatchbacks? hmmm... was that all years?

Reply to
Matt B.

Yeah. They had the same fastback shape, but the rear glass didn't lift. Here's a picture:

I don't know if the sedan survived the 78 facelift. I don't recall seeing a picture of a post 78 sedan, at any rate.

Robert

Reply to
Robert Kidd

Heh...pretty cool.

So pre-78 could you get a hatch at all? or did one have to look at 78-81 for a Dasher hatch?

Reply to
Matt B.

Yup. My 77 is a hatchback. The lower half of the opening is just like the sedan, so you have to lift loads across the top of the tail light panel. The facelifted cars have narrower taillights and bring the opening down to floor level (IIRC).

Robert

Reply to
Robert Kidd

The 78 Rabbit was German made and it was a 1.4 liter. It was reduced in size from the 77 to make it smoother. The 77 was, I think, 1.6, and was faster.

Reply to
Ron Ginsberg

just an FYI. up to the corrado, all water cooled VW's were named after weather patterns or winds.

Reply to
marc o