Is replacing the fans a huge expense??

I am starting to hear some strange sounds coming from my two radiator fans. I have a 97 golf with the 2.0 l engine. One of the fans seems to be out of balance. It wobbles and I am not sure if it is spinning at full speed. I am guessing that the two fans need replacing. Is this very expensive? I just dropped $800 on the car for unrelated repairs and now this is happening. How important are the fans during cold weather anyways (30 F)? Assuming that the car does not idle much.

thanks

Reply to
rat

the fans keep your engine from over heating. Most likely you only need the fan that has the electric motor on.

Reply to
Woodchuck

The fans are importatn in any weather. Overheating is the quickest way to blow a head gasket = $$$.

You should be able to get some fans at a junkyard for a fair price. If you want to go new look here:

William Maslin