Is the Golf Diesel no more ?

Very few of my "local" Washington VW dealer list the Golf models and none have the TDI engine. Is a Golf Diesel no longer being produced ? I need an economy hatchback, not a Jetta......

Reply to
tlen

VW.com still shows the Golf with the 1.9 TDI.

Reply to
Dave

The Golf is about to be replaced by the new 5th generation Golf in June and that car will be reaching our shores badged as the Rabbit. Therefore the production of the 4th gen. Golf is ending now. Yes the TDI is available officially for the '06 model year as the website says but since production of that car as a whole is ending, you pretty much can probably only get what's left on dealer lots.

The Rabbit will not initially have a TDI engine in the US. VW is waiting for reduced sulphur diesel to kick in in the US first in order to meet emissions standards.

Reply to
Matt B.

From what I heard VW will produce the PD diesel until the end of 2006. There will be no 2007 diesels thanks to the oil companies lack of providing low sulfur here in the USA. I think, the fed's mandated low sulfur fuel late in

2007 and VW will then supply the USA with diesels again featuring a NEW engine. The oil companies are WORRIED about not making a profit due to the extra expense of making the low sulfur fuels this year(lol)!

Reply to
Lost In Space/Woodchuck

Here in Europe there is only low and ultra-low sulphur diesel. Here in the Netherlands it is mainly ultra-low sulphur diesel and the usual selection of special blend fuels like Shell V-power, Total Excellium, etc. Shell's V-power is cleaner and contains 5% of a synthetic diesel fuel produced through the GTL process (Gass-To-Liquid). The oil companies claim better economy and lower emissions for these special fuels and sometimes better power output. I can't check te lower emissions, but there is no improvement in economy and power.

Remco

Reply to
Remco Meeder

That's true of the Jettas but since Golf Mk4 production has ended and the new Rabbit (Golf Mk5) is coming out, you won't be likely to find a newly-produced Golf diesel. The new Rabbit so far isn't slated to come here with a diesel for '07...the only engine now for that car so far will be the same 2.5 that's in the Jetta.

Reply to
Matt B.

Grrr. I keep crossing my fingers, hoping for a (US-model) four-door Golf with a decent engine. Even a 2.0T would do, but a VR6 (either 3.2 or 3.6 - I won't be that picky) would be great, especially w/Haldex (i.e. a 4-door R32/R36). Oh well.

-- Mike Smith

Reply to
Mike Smith

Reply to
none2u

I agree on having a choice of engines although I'm not as high-performance minded as you seem to be (different priorities).

I'm sure the 2.5 is fine but it kills me that VW has award-winning engines like the 1.4 TSI for example that is supposed to be both powerful, fuel efficient, and is still low-emissions yet VW isn't bringing it to the US. I know we Americans as a whole are size queens and all stuck on displacement but someone has to start convincing us that there are other ways to get efficient power. (And why, in this age of fuel economy concern and gas prices, does a torquey low-redline engine like the 2.5 get stuck with a

5-speed manual instead of a 6-speed? Unnecessary freeway-speed revs...)

The 2.0T is a great engine too and perhaps the upcoming 5-door GTI will work for you there.

However, my needs for my next car most likely are going to be a premium

5-door hatchback with a fuel efficient engine. I'd kill for a luxo Mk5 Golf/Rabbit/whatever it's called with a nice turbodiesel with a manual transmission that turns at less than 2500rpm on the freeway. But with how VWoA is equipping (or I should really say "stripping") the Golf/Rabbit with little choice at all for equipment and no choice at all for engines, VW will never have the car that I actually really want. The GTI is mostly fine, but still looks too juvenile for me with it's red stripes, black grille, and driving-in-a-coal-mine interior.

I might actually have to make my next car an Audi A3. Yes it's more or less the same as a GTI, but at least it doesn't look like it was made for an anti-rice 20 year old. No offense meant there but it's just that as fine as the GTI is, it doesn't speak much IMHO to my age bracket (35 and up).

Reply to
Matt B.

Well... I'd probably get the 2.0T really, but it would be nice to know the VR6 was available if I caught a mid-life crisis.

This is for real? 'Cause a 5-door GTI would indeed suit me. I've got a Passat V6 now, and it's a great car, and I really shouldn't even think about getting rid of it, but lately I've been in the mood for something sportier (while not wanting to give up practicality, thus the 4-door requirement).

Too expensive for what you get.

But it certainly doesn't cost the same! Real nice car though.

... hey, but that's *my* age bracket! ;-)

-- Mike Smith

Reply to
Mike Smith

Somtimes the only thing that sounds as satisfying as 6 cylinders is...6 cylinders.

Ya, for real:

But if the cheaper GTI doesn't quite push buttons the same way, it's money wasted. I'd be looking at a base A3 anyway if I were to get one. I'd rather spend $26K on an A3 than $23K on a GTI is the A3 ends up being the one I prefer.

Reply to
Matt B.

Cool, thanks. Any idea if that "6-speed automatic" is a slushbox or a DSG?

-- Mike Smith

Reply to
Mike Smith

DSG (same as the 2-door GTI).

Reply to
Matt B.

Then I think I know what my next car's gonna be, that is unless I manage to convince myself that getting rid of a perfectly good 4-year-old car with 18K miles on it is a really stupid stupid thing to do. ;-)

-- Mike Smith

Reply to
Mike Smith

tlen wrote:

I have been waiting since 2003 for the Golf TDI to become available in California. The TDI's 55 mpg is just as good as the hybrids (Prius, Civc, etc.) without the $10K price premium, and the uncertainty about reliability and replacement cost of those proprietary hybrid battery packs. But with the new EPA requirement for diesel fuel to be no more than 15 ppm sulfur, I suspect that there is going to be a national shortage of this "boutique" diesel fuel by late autumn, and it's going to get much more expensive, perhaps as much as a dollar a gallon more than regular gas. This will negate whatever cost per mile benefit the TDI might have offered over the gasoline powered Golf (or any other typical econobox car like the Civic, Corolla, Focus, or whatever). For as long as I can remember, until last year, diesel fuel had always been at least 10 cents cheaper than regular gas. Now it is as much as 50 cents MORE than regular gas in most parts of California, and I have a hunch that this difference will continue to grow. I heard a news report on the radio a few days ago that only about half of the existing refineries in the US are even equipped to desulfurize diesel to 15 ppm, hence fears of a severe shortage, especially starting next October when many refiners in the upper midwest and New England have to shift production from motor fuel to home heating oil. I have about given up on the Golf TDI, unless the Government can make some assurances that diesel fuel prices will be kept under some kind of reasonable limits. Maybe B100 bio-diesel will eventually become a real alternative, but for now, it's still substantially more expensive than petro-diesel, and it's only available in a few places.

Reply to
lgcharlot

Reply to
none2u

But driving a Yaris Liftback doesn't feels like a Golf...

T.-

"none2u" escribió en el mensaje news:dv6dnYr52eVwVeLZnZ2dnUVZ snipped-for-privacy@centurytel.net...

Reply to
Gustavo Arriagada

There will be a cost increase, but it's borne out by the greater amounts of processing they need to do to the fuel.

As far as shortages, or other such nonesense, it's just that.... nonsense.

VW is not putting newer Euro TDIs on the road because the old-US spec fuel will cause damage. Once the pipelines (and associated distribution points) have been cleared of the high-sulfer fuel, look to ALL manufacturers to begin releasing better diesels into the market.

Reply to
Don Mac Phee

According to the newspaper, there was a place in Seattle selling B100 for $3.05 a couple of weeks ago, which was about 30 cents LESS than petro-diesel. Don't know if it has changed.

Reply to
Ken Finney

Here in Europe the specs for diesel allow 50ppm sulphur at the moment which has to be down to 10ppm by 2009. So the 15ppm is quite a high goal. Minimum cetane number is 51 overhere. These are numbers taken of a website from the European Union. I just thought of something, Shell has been selling something called CityDiesel in Sweden for quite some time now. I just found the specs.

Reply to
Remco Meeder