Is this a good deal?

Check on kbb.com and edmunds.com.

Reply to
kokomoNOSPAMkid

Is $8,000 a good fair price for a 1998 VW TDI body in great shape, no rust or dents, the inside is very well cared for no rips and is clean. The dealer says

50+ MPG is easily obtained and the car does seem to drive good. All in all would that be a good price for that car?
Reply to
AlanH70

Price sounds about right but I'm worried about the statement "The dealer says

50+ MPG is easily obtained "? I don't think VW even said the MPG was that high when the car was new. Most owners I know get into the 40's.
Reply to
Woodchuck

I have a 2000 TDI Jetta 5 speed, 72,000 miles - I flog it pretty hard, and around town average 37-40 mpg, and 42-50 on the highway, depending on driving conditions. On a 9 hour trip from Missouri to Texas last month I averaged 49.2 mpg, my interstate speed was 80-85 mph. Not too bad of mileage, if I do say so myself! :)

Reply to
DriversWantedTech

||Is $8,000 a good fair price for a 1998 VW TDI body in great shape, no rust or ||dents, the inside is very well cared for no rips and is clean. The dealer says ||50+ MPG is easily obtained

Was the dealer guy named "Joe Isuzu" by any chance? Texas Parts Guy

Reply to
Rex B

Texas Parts Guy, There is always one ass in the bunch that for some reason needs to say something ignorant and just plain stupid. So the guy said 50 MPG is easily obtained. I am almost positive that if I drove 55 MPH everywhere in this car 50 MPH would be pretty accurate and if not oh well. It just sounds like your a pissed off used parts guy piecing together whatever you can afford to drive for a month at a time. Let me guess your one of those guys that would say hell even if I had the money and could afford a new car I would still buy a used one. People like you are a dime a dozen. Your mouth opens sounds are made but nothing of substance and in theis case it carries over to the computer keyboard so you have it twice as bad, and to boot I am sure your a lonely old guy with a dog that you are real close too, real close if you know what I mean. Sorry if I offended anyone but the comment was pretty ignorant in my book.

Reply to
AlanH70
[spew deleted]

You have a serious problem.

Texas Parts Guy

Reply to
Rex B

I think it was meant as a joke. Perhaps you need to buy looser underwear.

As for mileage...I have found that diesels aren't as sensitive to speed variations as gas engines. My 91 is not a TDI, but will get 40-42 mpg around town, on a leisurely 50-55mph cruise, or driving 75-80 with the a/c running. In my gas engines, high speed kills the mileage numbers.

I think the car sounds like a good deal, but maybe I missed it...how many miles are on the car?

Reply to
Tony Bad

Yep, he took his VW to PEPBoys and now it has no PEP. That sucks....

I think Alan should look at KBB.com and do a dealer trade wholesale look up and then buy it for $1000 to $1500 over that price.

Reply to
Peter Parker