Is this price about right?

I was at VW getting an air filter for my 2003 Jetta TDI since Frams are about an 1/8 inch too long, anyway asked about the 20000 mile check up without changing the oil or air filter since I do these myself. I was quoted $160, didn't seem outrageous but not cheap. Is this about right? Out of curiosity I asked the price of an oil change and service guy say $70. I know they have overhead, employees ect. but I pay $12 for synthetic oil, 9 for filter = $21 extra must be the labor to take off the 12 torx screws. Not complaining, just comparing. Thanks

Reply to
Helen Zass

I would never get oil changed at a dealer myself, its always more expensive. You do want to find an oil change place that has intelligent half conscious workers however to make sure they put the right oil in and tighten the plug etc.

Personnally, I always change my own oil. Oh, and also you don't need to do it every 3,000 miles except under extreme conditions. I have always done it at 4500-5000 miles and have had cars go over 300,000 miles. (Oil change places like to sell oil so they have convinced lots of people "every 3,000 miles!" but consumer reports and lots of others agree this is unncessary and wasteful)

Some say synthetic oil lasts longer but it still collects dirt that churns around in there if you don't change it for a long time.

TL

Reply to
Tom Levigne

Jim B.

Reply to
jimbehning

Make sure you compare with what the dealer says is the required maintenance adn what VW says. Check the book in the glovebox. Usually dealers like to sell additional unneeded maintenance.

Good luck

Reply to
Dermott

I change my own oil also, was just wondering if the other stuff they do at

20000 miles check up minus changing the oil and air filter are worth $160? I change at 5000 using Shell Rotella syn. Thanks

Reply to
Helen Zass

My dealer asked $24.95 for oil change. That was a special about a year ago, so without it's probably about $30, so $70 sounds like you should look for a new dealer.

Reply to
Baudolino

| |

Rex in Fort Worth

Reply to
Rex B
70 isn't too bad for a synthetic oil change. I pay $80 Cnd for my TDI at an Audi/VW shop, and I know the mechanic. The oil is really pricey, and he uses expensive filters.
Reply to
Rob Guenther