Jammed hand brake (New Jetta 99.5)

The hand brake stay ON for 1 minute or 2 before going OFF. Sometimes it stay ON. Is it a common concern about a car of this age with 180K km? Will I have to change the cable? I will need to change the rear rotors and the pads too.

Thanks!

Reply to
Gilles

You might have to change the guide tubes too. I had problems with water getting into the flexible cable guides and freezing in very cold weather. The rubber bellows shields near the back let the water in. You problem is obviously not water freezing-- assuming it is summer where you are. There was no getting the old cables out of the guide tubes, so you might be aware of that.

Lift off the cover at the base of the control. Perhaps it is only one side that is sticking.

wouldnot include guide tubes.

If you are changing the rear rotors, I would expect you would change the wheel bearings too.

Reply to
Tom's VR6