jetta exterior door handle doesn't work

I have a jetta 2002. Just recently my rear passenger side exterior door handle stopped working. I can pull on it (it doesn't feel the same) but the door doesn't open. I can open the door from inside. Is this something simple like a cable that got disconnected from the handle? Is it possible that the handle is broken and I need to replace it? Does anybody have any directions on to how to figure out the problem and fix it? How much would a new exterior handle cost?

thanks for all the help in advance

Reply to
Shorty

Much of what you want to know was recently discussed in thread Subject: "Damm A2 doors hard to open".

Reply to
Tom's VR6

Reply to
Regal53

but this isn't an A2.

Reply to
Matt B.

Child lock won't disable the exterior handle and that is the one that's not working.

Reply to
Matt B.

The door handle principles still hold, and you should find the thread useful. Remove the latch. Lube. Replace if necessary. See

Tom's VR6

Reply to
none2u

Does anybody have any instructions on how to remove the rear door handle on a jetta IV (2002)? I have a Hanes repair manual but the instructions are very general.

thanks

Reply to
Shorty