Jetta Problem

Hey Folks,

I have a 95 jetta and it is having a problem that even the dealer is having a problem solving... When I start it up it runs fine, but about 20 minutes later it begins to sputter quite severely when you step on the gas. It is almost like the engine just cuts off for a few seconds.... Let up on the gas and it resumes running all be it very rough. If you shut it off and let it cool off it will start up just fine and begin running again just fine for another 20 minutes then the cycle repeats itself.... The dealer claimed it was the mass air flow sensor, they swapped it out and it didn't fix the problem, they now think it is the catalytic converter.... Any thoughts out there?

Thanks

Mike

Reply to
Mike Maguire

They think the cat. is clogged or...? I doubt it's the O2 sensor but disconnect it and see what happens. Are both fuel pumps in good shape? The '95s do have a transfer pump in the tank, don't they? Loud buzzing coming from the rear passenger side?

Darryl.

Reply to
Darryl

Jim B.

Reply to
jimbehning

It could be an ignition problem that only happens when it gets hot.

Has the engine been tuned? I will assume that it is the 2.0 gas engine. I would replace ignition rotor at the very least, Bosch only thank you. I have seen a bad ign. rotor stump many a mechanic/tech. Check the inside center portion of the distributor cap also, or change it out too! ;-)

I have changed quite a few of the ign. coils but they are usually malfunctioning in damp weather.

Check the ign. to the plugs, and the fuel pressure like jim said.

I recently had to change my 91 Passat's rear muffler. It was closing up inside only while accelerating and restricting exhaust coming out of tailpipe. I did hear that horrible hiss coming out of any exhaust leaks before the clog. 8^) So yes it could be your cat, but if it isn't then will your dealer not charge you for it????????? lol

just some ideas! later, dave

Reply to
dave AKA vwdoc1