jetta stumbling after atempted distributor change

ok people, i need help

i just got married, low on money, cant afford a mechanic..

i have some knowledge about my jetta, and i am learning more every day,

i have a 94 jetta, 2.0 i bought a new distributor last year from the dealer cause they told me thats what i needed after further examination, i came to the conclusion that the only problem was the cap.. anyway, i?m ranting

so, i was starting to have some more problems, slights chugging, very slight and quite rare, i decided on the weekend that i would change my distributor just because i had it sitting here and i thouht it would be better to have a brand new one in the car..

anyway.. the distributor that th estupid deler sold me was not only the wrong one, but it has since been discontinued, so now now no dealer will gimme any money for it..

ok.. so my problem is this.. when i went to put the new distributor in, the gears didnt mesh up because the one they sold me had a smaller gear..

someting (i?m assumiong in the timing) got buggered and now the car starts and idles decently, but drives like garbage.. i have a constant check engine light, which i only had rarely and sparatically before, and the engine chuggs as i acellerate

i dont know exactly what i did, and i dont know how to fix it, i am driving the car cause i have to, but i feel like i?m hurting it..

i?m in over my head, please help me

nick

Reply to
nicklaw

you need to look at the DTCs. that should help you determine what might be wrong

did you correctly reinstall the original distributor? It might be off 1 notch. later, dave (One out of many daves)

Reply to
dave AKA vwdoc1